Callouses from using canes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Callouses from using canes

Yesterday I saw my neuro for my 6 month check up. One of the things he always has me do is hold out my hands and and flex my fingers, then turn flip them afew times. He asked me what that spot was on my hand. (between my thumb and next finger)

I told him I guess it was a callous, and that I had it afew years now and have tried a callous remover on it numerous times to not avail.

He told me it was from holding unto my cane. Well, dummy me, never thought of that! He wanted to watch me walk and then said, now look at your hand. Sure enough, I could see where the callous was coming from now
    He said if I wanted I could try a wart remover on it, but not to let the liquid get too deep. Also suggested that I might want to just keep it softer by applying lotion or vaseline on it, which is probably what I'll do.

Has anyone else developed a callous from using a cane? I have been using one alot for about 3 1/2 years now. Jeez- maybe I apply too much pressure when holding onto it!
    Had no idea I was that strong!

I have one on my right hand from using a rollator (not so much now that I don't walk much). Putting lotion on it keeps it soft, but it never really goes away.

maybe I apply too much pressure when holding onto it
    When I was using a cane, I wondered about that too. I asked a physiotherapist I was seeing, and she said that if I was pressing that hard on it, then my body was telling me what I needed to do, and I should keep pressing that hard on it...

Comment

I've been using mine for 2 1/2 yrs. now and don't have that problem. (Sorry that you do) I started using a hard handle, but it was too slippery, so now my main cane has a cushioned handle and I don't have to grip it so hard.

What kind of handle do you use mostly? Maybe there's a connection???
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Seasha, all the ones I use daily have the foam grip. I have 4 fold up ones that just have the wooden handle, but I rarely use them. One of them is in the pack on the motorcycle and the others are just in case I would need an extra one- kept in the vehicles. Three of them are just plain dark brown, and one is a pretty one with different colored hummingbirds on it that I lend to friends that are traveling and would like to take one along in their purse, (just in case they need one)

Comment

I used one cane from 1969 to 1973. Then I used two canes from 1973 to 2009. After that I have used a walker. I have never had callouses.

Lois

Comment

What may work best is to get a cane with a Fischer Handle, they are left or right. They effortlessly fit your hand, there is no rubbing.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I have the callouses you describe - one on each hand. i had a majore problem with my right leg for a good 20yrs before the MS was diagnosed and used crtuches or walkers for much of that time so i realised what had caused it. What i have only found in more recent times is that i get severe pain in the joint at the base of my thumb and have restricted mobility, quite often if i have to try to grip something i will get a sudden pain and drop it. I have not really walked for yrs now, but it seems that i have developed osteo arthritis because of the stress i put through my hand using walking aids- i guess the only part of us really made to take the stress of walkng is our feet and legs- the callous does not worry me but then it is not really obvious to others

Comment

Working...
              X