portable water bottle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

portable water bottle?

I keep thinking this MUST exist somewhere, but I have yet to find one, or a way to make an existing one work.

I walk with a walker, and no, haven't gotten a bag or anything attatched to it, which might help. But my mouth is very dry from medications and I try to keep a bottle of water with me, especially if I'm going to be somewhere a while, ie, church.

What I am looking for is a water bottle that has ...a strap? something that I can hold onto other than the bottle itself. I have seen aluminum ones that have a D-ring on them, but in order to drink you have to unscrew the lid and it's pretty noisy. I did go to Sports Authority and they had a brand called "Nathans" that have a strap that is on it, they look like they are for bicycling, so they can be firmly attached to the bike. But they are over $20! I just wasn't ready to give in to that until I reached out to see if anyone else has this issue. Any ideas?

sewn water bottle holders for walkers and wheelchairs

You are correct. Those are way too expensive. What I've done is use the thread and material that I've had for 30 years and sewn water bottle holders for my wheelchair and walker. And I've sewn as many as I can for others. And I found a whole drawer of buttons 50 years old too. So I found all this free stuff, and have been sewing these for free. i've had to take a little break, because of this MS stuff, but I know within six months, I'll be sewing again. Since I'm not functioning, ask at your local Church if they know someone willing to sew one for you. It is ridiculous to pay twenty dollars for a water bottle holder. And I know how nice it is to always have a water bottle with me.

I'm sure also if you look at the childrens section at thrift stores, you may be able to find kids type water bottle holders, and probably a sports type clip there too for a dollar to clip it around the frame of your chair. I've enjoyed sewing these, because even though it's not as much as I used to enjoy doing things to help people, at least it's something. Just give me about six months, because I always think I will improve, and I'll figure out a way to sew and send. But seriously, it's ok to ask, and I'm sure your local church will have parishioners enjoy sewing them when they realize how much they are helping someone. Or contact your local sewing 4-H club. I'm sure they will have someone there also willing to sew a water bottle holder. They can look online for sewing ideas.

Take care,
    Marie

Comment

I did a very quick search on Amazon and found a couple of options. If you search for water bottles + slings, you'll find a device (multiple actually) designed to carry the bottle over your shoulder. Take a look.

Comment

The water bottles I bought from MSSociety has a ring that is on the neck. The ring has a smaller ring on it. I use with my walker and chair. It just takes a finger or two to hold on to. I also send one with my granddaughter for her field trips. I use one of the key chain things and hook it to her bookbag. It is doubled walled and has something like a jell pack between the tow walls so you can freeze it and things will stay cold. Or hot.
        SgrammieD

Comment

that is so nice of you...thanks

Originally posted by Marie12 View Post
          So I found all this free stuff, and have been sewing these for free. Take care,
          Marie
          It is great to hear that you are finding a way to help others.
          Momma to 3 little ones

Comment

I use a fanny pack with cup holders. That way, I always have my water, and I can put medication, cell phones, etc. in the large center pockets. I use forearm crutches, so carrying stuff in my hands is not really an option, but the fanny pack works great! I just got this one from Wal-mart.

Comment

Originally posted by sgrammied View Post
              The water bottles I bought from MSSociety has a ring that is on the neck. The ring has a smaller ring on it. I use with my walker and chair. It just takes a finger or two to hold on to. I also send one with my granddaughter for her field trips. I use one of the key chain things and hook it to her bookbag. It is doubled walled and has something like a jell pack between the tow walls so you can freeze it and things will stay cold. Or hot.
              Where did you find that bottle? I dont see it on their store site. I would love one~

CrazyCatLady
              MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

CamelBak

I use mine daily. It is made like a back pack. I use it while in bed & sometimes even wear it on my chest. It has a long straw attached.

http://www.outdoor-sports-store.com/...ApsGY%2fh08%3d

Comment

A camelback might be another option for you. It has a backpack that a water resivour (sp) fits into and then a tube with a mouthpiece to drink from.I usually fill mine with as much ice as I can get into it and then water.it has the added bonus of helping to keep my back cool.

Amazon carries many of these as does many sports stores.look around for the best prices. They come in different sizes too
                  Lost in my own little world, but it's okay they know me here

Comment

i have a water an aluminium bottle made by a company called cheeki, i was given the bottle but then bought a holder for it that has a shoulder strap attached (can be unclipped) the holder is made from neoprene and helps insulate the flask too- this one was about $10 but you may find cheaper options.

the other thing that comes to mind is check out somewhare they sell baby products such as baby strollers, i know someone who found a plastic/aluminium holder that fits to her wheelchair and holds either a flask or a cup- it should fit to a walker just as well and it was not expensive

Comment

Working...
                    X