need a lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need a lift

Hi, We have a hoyer lift to use when needed to transfer my husband but has the m.s. has progressed we now need a permanent lift for over our bed and one over the toilet. I saw mentioned in previous threads about a portable lift that uses tracts in the ceiling? Can anyone supply any info about ceiling lifts and the costs? Thank you

will get back with you when hubby is around and can better respond to. where do you live? we are in the toledo, ohio area.
    phyllis/calas

Comment

I used "U" shaped channel you can buy at hardware stores. It is normally used on sliding barn doors and things like that. Instead of it being used on its side, I turned it so the opening was facing down toward the floor. I drilled holes through the back of the channel and installed lag bolts into the ceiling joist. I installed 1x6 boards on the ceiling and then mounted the track or channel through the board into he ceiling joist. I mounted a hoist into the track using trolleys that are sold with the track and attached the hoyer lift seat to the hoist. You can find the track and trolleys in the hardware section where they have parts for garage doors.

Comment

MSS, I have a ceiling lift that I can use myself for the toilet. It has a fairly complex rail system so I can manuever myself a number of directions to maintain my independence while my husband is at work. The rails are installed to extend 8ft to the tub. The rail and lift system is Waverly Glen and it cost $6000.

I think one of the companies had a portable lift motor that you could move to ceiling rails set up in different rooms. Sorry I don't have that info. I got my Waverly Glen installed by the local company that sold me my powerchair. The occupational therapy dept that I use also had a person dedicated to providing in-home assistive solutions. She found another local hospital equipment company that quoted me on a different ceiling lift. I also got a quote from Sure-Hands.

I would hope you could get info from these sources in your area or your local NMSS. Google Waverly Glen for info on local dealers and whether they have that portable lift motor. Or google search ceiling lift.

Good luck,
        lori

Comment

when all was done the lift system described in an earlier reply cost my husband around 300.00 and was done in an afternoon. he didn't want to mess with electricity and used a chain fall hoist instead of electric.
          phyllis/calas

Comment

Thank you Calas......I am new and did not check the other threads.

We have ordered a sling off the internet that will pick up the top half of the body. This would help for putting on pants and transferring to toilet etc. When the sling arrives then we thought we could devise a tracking system over the toilet and over the bed. My husband has a rehab wheelchair that he stays in when not on the toilet or bed.

Is it possible to get a pic of your setup? We cannot afford an expensive ceiling track system and medicare will not cover it.

I have a hoyer lift on wheels but it is getting harder to push around and is really not that convenient as we get older. Again, we are trying to think ahead as we are both getting older and have been battling ms for the past 14 years.

Thanks again for your help.......mss

Comment

Calas

The answer to the 2nd question is we live in California. We truly need to get a setup going so we don't lose the little independence that we have.

Thanks........mss

Comment

I Made 5 Ceiling Lifts For Under $800

i made ceiling lifts over my bed, toilet, recliner and at my vehicle. these are the areas that i needed to transfer to and from my scooter. what i made to get the job done at the lowest price. first i welded up a frame that bolted between the ceiling joists. it consisted of all 3/16th thick steel, 2 angle irons that are 2x2x24inches. they sit on the 2x4 rafters. welded to those is a piece of flat steel, 10x26 inches, that is perpendicular to the angle iron and the bottom corners cut out to be welded on both faces of the angle iron. for support, 4 gussets cut diagonally from two pieces of 6x8 inch steel. this one piece frame is bolted to the rafters with 3 lag bolts on each side, 2 lag bolts on back side and one on front side. on front side of frame is a winch, like you would find on a truck. the ones i have came from harbor freight tools, it is remote controlled so no wires are hanging from ceiling, not sure if still sold by them. if not wires could be run inside a nearby wall for up and down controller to be hooked up so that no wires will be showing. a 3x5 hole cut in ceiling and the hook put through it. i melted lead and poured into coke cans to make 3 pound weights to keep winch wire from getting fouled on the spool when no weight is on it. i cut slot half way to the center so wire/air cord can slide in then beaten closed. now to power all this i also bought from harbor freight emergency battery car engine starters for $40 each. each battery box needs to be close to winch to avoid voltage drop but still inside the house so it can be turned on when needed and be able to be plugged in to recharge after use. i had handyman install this and run wires inside the wall with connectors so that battery clamps could be hooked up. for appearance sake i put in the ceiling holes white plastic to float on holes with U shaped white 1/2 inch molding trim to cover cut edge of sheet rock. sounds confusing but not really and everything parts and labor, less than $800

Comment

I have a ceiling lift in bathroom and over my sofa. It is from Romedic, works well. My sling is from Invacare, it is hot and uncomfortable, but it works.

Comment

Working...
                  X