Porto Mobility Ranger D09 wheelchair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porto Mobility Ranger D09 wheelchair

I've reached the point where I need something other than my faulty legs to get around outside the house, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this brand of wheelchair or their importer? There are mostly good reviews on that South American river, but because it's not manufactured in the US I have some concerns about repairs and customer support.

I want something that will not only last for a while but that can go through grass, gravel, and dirt (within reason!) and up hills. I also need one that's light enough for someone to lift in and out of the trunk of the car. I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows of a better one!

Nora,

I'm just kicking this up a notch.

I too am keeping an eye open as to mobility equipment and the issues you mention.

Hoping others with knowledge comment.

Ps, The Do9 looks exceptional but toggle / joy stick need be flopped, and battery(s) removal needs to be accomplished with one hand, aside from the 50+ pound weight.

Comment

What I have wouldn't fit your need for lifting it in and out of a vehicle. My DRIVE power chair goes pretty well through grass, gravel and dirt and up hills. But, it is heavy and is removed from the vehicle either with a lift or driving it up and down ramps.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

502, I'm only considering this one because I only leave the house accompanied by one of my grown children, so all that heavy stuff will be on them! I have wondered if I'll be able to change the batteries by myself, because sometimes my hand strength is nonexistent.

Mamabug, I love the kind you have, but my lovely SUV had to be scrapped a while back, and we're limited now to two small 4-door sedans. Whatever I get will have to fit in one of them.

I have some new health issues to deal with over the next 2 weeks, but if they have a positive outcome I'll be ordering this chair and let you all know how well it works.

Comment

because it's not manufactured in the US I have some concerns about repairs and customer support.
          I think that's a valid concern. All I could find on this one was something about a distributor being out of California.

I've only had bigger, heavier chairs. My very first powerchair (10+ years ago) was considered "transportable." But only by someone with good strength (which I'm lucky my husband had). The captain's seat, with headrest, could be lifted off and separated from the base. The base was still heavy even after you took the battery off it, and while the chair folded down, it still took up considerable room. It fit in the back of our minivan, but definitely wouldn't have fit in the trunk of car. It lasted several years with no issues (just had to replace the battery) until it wouldn't charge anymore.

The Falcon is very similar to the Porto Mobility Ranger, and the manufacturer, Quick N Mobile, is located in Florida (with a couple other warehouse locations across the US). It comes with a one year full limited warranty. In the event of a validated warranty issue, they will send a trained professional repair technician directly to your home, or will make arrangements to ship the chair to their location in the event your wheelchair should need repair.

It has a reclining back, which can also be a nice feature. A headrest, flexible leg extensions, and attendant-controller bracket (for a caretaker to control the chair while walking behind) are also available for anyone who might be interested that. There are also several videos that describe the chair.

It's a few hundred dollars more, but if you ever need repairs or parts, may prove well worth it.

Best of luck, whatever you decide on!
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
          X