Caregivers and transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caregivers and transfers

I have caregivers that come in to help me with exercises and toileting. They've usually been able to transfer me using a gait belt, but as I've progressed from a pivot transfer to a full transfer, it's become much harder. I have a Hoyer lift in case I end up on the floor and no one else is here to help lift me (my husband is often here to help). I'd prefer not having to use the Hoyer for every transfer because it takes so long to get it under me in my lift chair and transport me back to my bed to use my commode and then do my stretches on the bed. I was given a sit to stand machine but it hasn't worked for me. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have also progressed to needing a full transfer. After an evaluation I now use the Rifton TRAM, much easier and quicker then a hoyer sling lift.

Comment

I know they're quite expensive. Were you able to get insurance to pay for any of it?

Comment

Originally posted by nkh18 View Post
        I know they're quite expensive. Were you able to get insurance to pay for any of it?
        Yes, my plan paid 80% of the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by pb909 View Post

Yes, my plan paid 80% of the cost.
          Great!.........
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

When using a Rifton tram, can you go directly to a toilet, have clothing adjusted (pants lowered), then use the toilet without having to bear any weight?

Comment

Originally posted by nkh18 View Post
              When using a Rifton tram, can you go directly to a toilet, have clothing adjusted (pants lowered), then use the toilet without having to bear any weight?

I have in the past but I usually do not because my bathroom set up makes it difficult to maneuver the lift.

I get transferred to a rolling commode chair.

Comment

Working...
              X