Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kindle e-reader makes reading with vision problems/arthritis easy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

free kindle downloaded to computer

I was going to borrow money to buy a Kindle, then I realized they came out with the option of downloading a Kindle for FREE to a computer. I know the regular Kindle has the ability to audio read the text. Does the free download to pc have that ability also. For some reason, I haven't been able to listen to audio read from the Kindle I downloaded for free to my computer. If that doesn't exist for the free one, can someone forward me the information for a free audio reader that I can use on the computer Kindle.

Comment

Kindle for PC text to speech

Kindle for PC will only do text to speech if you have a screen reader program on your PC. There is a free one: NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA). It's primarily for the vision impaired, so using it just for Kindle for PC is turning out to be a challenge.

I installed it last week, and I'm about ready to uninstall it. The program wants to read everything on your computer to you. I got it turned off so it's not doing that, but every time I bring up a document I get a screen from NVDA about settings for reading it.

I'm finding it a little intrusive.

Comment

Originally posted by EXELEVMAN View Post
        i recently bought a computer program from DAK.COM that converts any words on the internet to MP3. load it to any MP3 player and you can listen an entire book or literature from the internet.
        How is the voice quality on that program? Does it sound like a computer reading to you? I've tried listening to the audio reader option on my Kindle, but the lack of inflection and emotion in the voice is just boring.
        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Marie12 View Post
          I was going to borrow money to buy a Kindle, then I realized they came out with the option of downloading a Kindle for FREE to a computer. I know the regular Kindle has the ability to audio read the text. Does the free download to pc have that ability also. For some reason, I haven't been able to listen to audio read from the Kindle I downloaded for free to my computer. If that doesn't exist for the free one, can someone forward me the information for a free audio reader that I can use on the computer Kindle.
          Marie, I just checked and can't find the audio reader option on Kindle for PC. Sorry. The actual Kindle does have an audio reader, but it's a computerized voice and the lack of inflection and emotion is rather boring. It's not like listening to audio books with a real person reading to you.

The things I like about my Kindle over using the Kindle for PC is that it's more portable, so I can lie down in bed and read (which is what I normally do before I go to sleep), or I can take it to doctors appointments with me. Also, my computer is back lit and the Kindle is not, so it's a lot easier on my eyes.
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Kindle for PC Text to Speech

Kindle for PC with Accessiblity Plugin does text to speech.
            Here's the link, or you can google it. If you have just the normal Kindle for PC it won't do text to speech.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000632481

There is a table of shortcuts that you use to start and stop the speech. You won't see a menu of selections.
            You also have to have a screen reading program. NVDA is free.

It is a computerized voice, so it's not like a real audiobook read by an actor. I don't think I could listen to an entire book.

Comment

Working...
            X