Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kindle e-reader makes reading with vision problems/arthritis easy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindle e-reader makes reading with vision problems/arthritis easy!

I've been using my new Kindle 3 e-reader from Amazon.com for a little over a week now, and I love it!!

I have vision problems and reading, even with bifocals was very frustrating, especially as I usually read in bed and lying on my side in glasses is really uncomfortable and awkward. I also have arthritis in my hands and nerve damage, so holding a book was uncomfortable and awkward too, and I'd usually end up dropping it and losing my place. I had actually given up on trying to read for almost a year now.

With my new Kindle, I can lie on my side in bed, prop the Kindle on the bed beside me (I have a flip case which acts as an easel) and not even have to hold it. I've increased the font size, and just have to reach up to press the button to turn the page.

My new Kindle has reopened the world of reading to me, I world I missed so much as I used to be an avid reader and could read an entire book in one night.

The Kindle 3 doesn't cost that much, just $139. (It was my birthday present to myself.) Mine comes with just WiFi, which is all I need, but there is another which comes with free 3G for $50 more. It's very light weight and easy to hold.

I can download up to 3,000 books into it, so won't have to worry as to where to store my books. (I have boxes of books scattered in three different households!) Book prices on Amazon are anywhere from free up to $12. You can also download .pdf files to it, and I purchased 17 books by my favorite author on iBid for $5 and then sent them to my Kindle where they were converted to the Kindle format so I can read them.

If you do have vision problem or difficulty holding books, or just want to free up some shelf space, I'd highly recommend a Kindle or an e-reader.
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Free books

Manybooks.web has a lot of old books like Les Meserables and ones by Dickens and Zane Grey. I downloaded a load for the Sony Reader which I got when it first came out. $300! Prices sure have come down!
    tecie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

Sounds almost perfect. Soon as they add voice control so I can turn pages, I want one.
      Don

Comment

medical tax deduction?

Can the purchase be deductible on taxes as a medical expense? Anyone know?

Comment

I have a Sony ereader and Chapters' Kobo. The Sony is great for its touch control. Kobo has access to some authors I can't find for the Sony. Both are great in that you don't have to hold them.

Pretty good prices; I'm building quite a library.
          Laurakim

Comment

Kindle eReader

My DH just got me a Kindle w/ 3G & WiFi for our 20th Anniversary this weekend! (I had been dropping some not-too-subtle hints..) This is the best thing since sliced bread! I am an Avid reader, and this has been a Godsend.. I love the text to speech, the adjustable fonts, and no more losing pages 'cause my hand slipped. Highly recommend an e Reader to anyone with vision and 'oopsie' problems. (I've dropped more pages than a hundred Webster dictionaries..lol)
            The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused.

Comment

Kindle question

I have the kindle on my I pad. I love it also. And I too am an avid reader with books throughout the house. I still read some paperbacks.

My QUESTION

How are you getting these cheap books to download to kindle. I would love to do that with my favorite author.
              Corak13

Comment

Originally posted by coral12 View Post
                I have the kindle on my I pad. I love it also. And I too am an avid reader with books throughout the house. I still read some paperbacks.

My QUESTION

How are you getting these cheap books to download to kindle. I would love to do that with my favorite author.
                Corak13
                You e-mail the files to your Kindle e-mail address with the word Convert in the subject line and Amazon will automatically convert the files to a format compatible with your Kindle. To find your Kindle e-mail address, long in to your Amazon account, and go to your Kindle page. You should see your Kindle e-mail address listed on the left side of the page.
                Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Nook?

Anyone have the Nook?

I am serioulsy thinking about getting one of the e-reader things because I need larger font like in the large print books. I ususally get my books from the library as they have a pretty good selection.

I just learned my library lets you download e-books to your e-reader. Of course I have no idea how to do it yet but what I did learn is they are not able to work with the Kindle because of copyright laws with Amazon my library recommends the Nook as they can download to it.

Anyway, does anyone have a nook? I was wondering how large the font goes and how you feel about any glare on the screen?

CrazyCatLady
                  MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

Bump.......

CrazyCatLady
                    MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

netbooks work also

I use my netbook as a reader. You can hold it like a book and read if you want or hold it like a netbook and read.

I have been downloading my books in pdf. There are other options. You can read in the dark. Make the font as big as you want, etc.
                      In addition to the library there are sites which allows limited free downloads a month.

Comment

crazycatlady. i have a nook color, and i love it!!!!! the available choices are in all categories, and very easily downloaded. there are many different font styles and sizes to choose from. i haven`t had any issues with glare. i love my nook, so check into one further. good luck.

dave
                        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                        volunteer
                        MS World
                        hunterd@msworld.org
                        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by coral12 View Post

My QUESTION

Corak13
                          Finally found a way to do this via Amazon. Go to Amazon and search free kindle books. It pulls up a list. Many of the classics are free, but even better, they run promos. Certain books can be downloaded for free for a few weeks!

Comment

I do not currently have either one, but a Nook is on my list when I have extra money.....

Frugal girls.com is an excellent site for free e books. Do not know how to load and stuff, and may be a link to Amazon, but worth a shot. Great web site

JudySz

Comment

NO NEED TO READ

i recently bought a computer program from DAK.COM that converts any words on the internet to MP3. load it to any MP3 player and you can listen an entire book or literature from the internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X