Service Dogs to help with stability, mobility, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service Dogs to help with stability, mobility, etc

Let me begin by saying that I don't know where to post this (it's not exactly "technological assistance") and the topic may well have been discussed before. Moderators: Pls move this if needed and/or direct me to past discussions if that's best.

All of that said, I have found that I am more stable, less wobbly and more aware of where my feet are in relation to what's under me, when I am "connected" to something. Initially I noticed the difference when I walked my dog with a leash in my hand. It seemed that I had a better sense of myself in space, if you know what I mean. But that was before toe dragging/foot drop became another piece of my MS-picture.

Now that it seems I trip over air, I am wondering if having a dog that has been trained to help me stabilize myself and, if need be, get up from the floor, might not be a good idea. An additional benefit might come from the space-clearing that seems to naturally happen when one sees someone walking with a service dog. That would be helpful to me and probably many others.....none
    of us like to have to try to squeeze through a crowd or get bumped and even knocked down because we weave or seem to amble along.

Does anyone have a service dog for their MS mobility issues? Has anyone besides me considered that option? Would you share your experiences and knowledge and maybe help me and others?

Thank you.
    Carol

Hi Carol! I found a few threads about service dogs in the Assistive Devices, Technology forum -

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...t=service+dogs

The NMSS has information about what you need to consider before getting a service dog - http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Liv...istive-Devices (scroll down to assistive animals)

BTW - I'm moving your thread to the Assistive Devices, Technology forum.
    Good luck on your research! I'd love to have a service dog, but dh has allergies.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you for the links, Seasha. I'll do some reading and see what I can discover.

So far, it seems there are only a limited number of resources for obtaining a mobility-trained dog. I have learned of a couple of groups that have 'you-train' programs, but I don't think that will work for me. Not having enough energy consistently could result in failure for both the dog and me. I would hate to let a willing and eager dog down by not being able to work enough with him/her to complete the training needed.

Has anyone completed one of the courses with a dog? What was involved? Did anyone receive a service dog that was trained and ready to work with you?

I'm just starting to look into this, so I sure would love to hear of others' experiences.
      Thanks!

Comment

I know they do use service dogs for the purpose of stability. I follow a vlog and the girl in the vlog has CF. She has a service dog (a standard poodle) to provide stability if she gets into a coughing spell. I can think of a lot of help that a service dog could provide when your mobility is affected.

Assisting in picking things up, or bring things to you would be great. To see the dog used for stability, go to youtube and watch The Frey Life Service Dog Q & A. That particular vlog will come up as well as lots of other threads about her service dog (it can also detect low blood sugar, which is pretty cool, IMO.)

Comment

Gunner

I have been thinking about the possibility of getting a service dog for some time. Now that my hubby and I are retired, we got more serious. I was able to find a lady about 2 hrs from where I live who has experience in training service mobility dogs. Together we found a 12 week old lab we have named Gunner. She is working with Gunner in the obedience and retrieving areas for the next few months -- he is now 4 months old. At 6 months he will be certified and we will take him on the plane with us to Indiana. When the vet confirms he is ready he will be trained with a leather halter brace to help with balancing and helping me not to fall. He is adorable and very smart. We love him and he's going to be a perfect companion/helper for me. His total cost/training will be $6000.

Comment

Service Dog Project in Ipswich MA trains and distributes Great Danes for mobility and other purposes. Their #1 recipients are veterans, however, any one can apply. In my healthier days, I volunteered at that farm. The owner turns out some pretty spectacular dogs.

Do Not go to one of the agencies who is going to sell you a dog and then teach you how to train it. Those have scam and puppy mill written all over them.

Comment

Thank you all for giving me some suggestions to pursue. I keep doing research but can only do a bit at a time as I get feeling pretty defeated. Seems that there are a number of resources for veterans with PTSD (I'm not complaining) and a few that require up to 6 weeks of "on campus" stays by the person needing the dog. Not a bad idea, but a bit expensive and impractical for me right now. Guess I just haven't stumbled upon the right one yet (pun intended).

I think I read the Service Dog Project site info. Maybe I'll get brave and plead my case, even though I'm not a veteran. Biggest issue is that I believe they require that you have no other canines in your household. We already have dogs, and I believe we have made a commitment to them for life, so that could be a problem if they do have that requirement.

Grammy2many, would you give me the name/contact info of the person that you found? Maybe she could be a resource and/or direct me to someone else with the necessary skills and training experience to help me. I'll check out the CF-person's service dog experiences also. I like learning...it's the remembering that's tough sometimes now

A recent MSAA publication had an article about an MSer with a greyhound as her service dog. Our family has had many greyhound 'family members' so that did pique my interest. I hope to follow up on that too.

Again, thank you all for your ideas. I'll let you know what I discover. I believe there are many of us with MS who could use the skills of a well-trained service dog to help us through this MS-life we live.

Comment

Hey DogMa, I'd give Service Dog Project a shot. She has a lot of dogs in the pipeline. Back when I was there, no restriction existed about other dogs in the house. This may have changed as the years have gone by. She has a guest house on the property where a potential candidate can live while learning about the dogs and the potential service dog they may match you with.

As a SPMS 61 year old, I'll tell you the last thing I'd want to deal with is a service dog. I have 3 dogs and two cats. A service dogs has the same needs as my pack---exercise, mental stimulation, socialization, veterinary care. Although the dog would be in service for you, it is still a dog, and so needs to do dog things. Living in a down stay position under a table is not a life for any dog, regardless of how they are trained. They need dog activities--dog park visits, beach runs, and of course let's not forget that every time it needs to got potty for the rest of its life it'll be your responsibility. That's a lot of trips to the yard.

Not trying to be a buzz kill, just giving you a different perspective on life with a service dog.

Comment

Thank you, Herelam, for the thoughts on dogs in general and especially service dogs. I have thought about those dog needs and believe, I/we can make it work. Our family has always had dogs;we have dogs now;and our house and yard are set up for dogs (6' fence, potty area, running area, dog beds all over, etc) - good thing the kids are grown now; plus, one of our sons has moved back home for a while (to save money) and has almost-graciously taken on the poop scooping detail he did so well as a youngster. Poor fellow, but he's good-spirited about it.

I believe I'll make a first contact with Service Dog Project and see what happens. As I understand it, the process can take years, at best. I do love Great Danes, although sight hounds (esp. greyhounds and whippets) have my heart.

Hopefully I can find several potential sources and find the "right dog" sooner rather than later. Grammy2many, I hope you'll chime in with some other places/people to try, please. I know they're out there but so many links just take me to sites for acquiring "fake" paperwork and vests.

Comment

Gunner the Service Dog

Dogma - I'm so sorry I haven't responded sooner re. our Service Dog experience. Gunner is now happily in our house following a 3-month Phase 1 training program. He is amazing -- only 6tr months old and able to walk slowly beside me using my walker or mobility scooter. He is extremely well behaved -- doesn't bark, doesn't chew, except on his many available toys, and is polite in resterant and other places, not reacting to other distractions--people, animals, etc. He seldom "acts like a teenager and is stubborn. When his about a year old, he will go back for Phase 2 training which will be counterbalancing me so I can walk safely with him without my walker. He will be able to help me with stairs, doors and even little tasks like bringing in plastic grocery bags, getting me bottled water out of fridge or even emptying the dryer and dragging the basket to me. Here is the trainers info, and yes she does have a pretty wide network of people in her trade.
                    Dawn Hoppe

**Information removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of page > My Settings > Edit Profile**

Comment

Hi grammy2many - I appreciate your replying to me, even if it took a while. I read, in another post, the reason(s) and understand completely. It sounds like Gunner is enjoying a wonderful beginning in your house. I'm especially impressed that he is so compliant at such a young age.

Since I wrote that inquiry, I have been granted a miracle if you will.Through a none-MSer, I was given the name of a trainer and have been able to begin the process to get a service dog.

Just in case I run out of things to worry about, I am now wondering what I need to know about the rules of etiquette for being out in public with my service dog. I am aware of the laws that allow a SD to go into places, but, for instance, do I just presume that she/he and I can walk in/move around/etc and do just that, or do I politely ask first? What if he/she appears to need to potty while we're out?---vest stays on or comes off if I or someone else takes him/her for a potty break? There are many more of these pesky questions that come up to keep my mind busy at night.

Has anyone written a book that answers these and other questions? I'd rather read the answers than stay awake stewing about them Any ideas?

Please stay in touch and let me/us know how you and Gunner progress. I'm excited for you!
                      Thank you.

Comment

Dog Assist

Diagnosed with RRMS 25 years ago, SPMS for past 5 years, 59 years old. Have had to give up most activities over the years as my MS progressed, running, skiing, rock climbing, basketball, back-packing, hiking; now just golf/with a cart, camping, ride a special bike, and swim sometimes. Can barely lift my left leg, foot drags and I trip a lot. Use a cane some and since left arm/hand weak trekking poles have been a problem trying to hike.

But since I have a dog, who used to walk too fast (pace of my wife who is fit) for me and pull me off balance, I have retrained him. When we used to hike, I put a backpack on him to carry his own treats and water which made him go slower and listen better/not get distracted. I bought him a harness and we practice on our regular outings which used to be just throwing a ball for him, but now includes walking. The harness lets him know that he is working when it is on and he automatically slows down to my pace. He is a cattle dog/German shepherd mix and very intelligent.

Initially I kept correcting him any time he pulled even gently, but I found that his tension on the leash actually helped me to keep my balance, like 3 points on the ground instead of just my 2 feet. I now focus on him keeping tension on the leash as we walk and have him pull me whenever we go uphill. He automatically slows down even more when we go down hill and knows his left from his right, helpful when turning. I have been able to walk more and longer distances and just started taking him on hiking trails even where dogs are prohibited. No one has said anything to me when they see my obvious difficulty walking and just assume that he is a service dog.

I had a conversation at a park with a guy about our training together and he insisted that my dog was not a service dog, but I argued that although he has no official certification, which I have come to understand that there is no "official government certifying agency for dogs" although some organizations such as hospitals require a particular agency's certification, that he does in fact perform a service for me and I will treat him as one. My wife and I got motivated years ago to train him, he will be 7 this year, after watching and contacting the owner of "Skidboot" a cattle dog in Texas, who has made several tv appearances but is now no longer with us. If you haven't seen the video, check it out on youtube.

Now I really do not want to get into a debate over what makes a service dog, only to state that I have a problem and I am entitled to use whatever assistance I believe is necessary to help me to overcome/deal with my disability! I am fortunate today that my dog is able to help me, and do so more cheaply, with joy, and better than drugs and other assistive devices available today. So my point is if you are truly a dog person and understand dog behavior and needs, then maybe he/she could be a solution for you also... I have to go now, it's time to take Kenya for a walk and run some errands. He just came over to remind me.

Good luck and keep on moving!

Comment

Originally posted by dingo View Post
                          Now I really do not want to get into a debate over what makes a service dog
                          Fortunately, you don't have to. The Americans with Disabilities Act defines what a service animal is and specifies the national laws about their use. States also have some leeway in setting laws about how service animals are used.
                          only to state that I have a problem and I am entitled to use whatever assistance I believe is necessary to help me to overcome/deal with my disability!
                          That's not true, and it's a misunderstanding that can get you into trouble. People with disabilities must still follow all applicable laws, which do NOT entitle them to use or do whatever they believe they want to, even if it's for assistance.

Service animals and their handlers must follow all applicable laws. Even if they're providing a service, service animals must be under total control of the handler at all times (which may require them to adhere to leash laws) and not threaten, endanger or harm anyone or damage property. They may not relieve themselves anywhere they choose, and people with disabilities are required to clean up after their animals immediately.

Service animals are not automatically protected without qualification and liability just because they provide a service. Disruptive service animals that violate the law can be legally removed from a location. People with disabilities are NOT entitled to use disruptive service animals in public or break any laws in the pursuit of disability assistance.

Anyone who wants to train their own service animal should educate themselves about what is and isn't allowed under the ADA and other laws and what they are and aren't entitled to, if for no other reason than to protect their own animal from harm.

Diagnosed with RRMS 25 years ago, SPMS for past 5 years, 59 years old. Have had to give up most activities over the years as my MS progressed, running, skiing, rock climbing, basketball, back-packing, hiking; now just golf/with a cart, camping, ride a special bike, and swim sometimes. Can barely lift my left leg, foot drags and I trip a lot. Use a cane some and since left arm/hand weak trekking poles have been a problem trying to hike.

But since I have a dog, who used to walk too fast (pace of my wife who is fit) for me and pull me off balance, I have retrained him. When we used to hike, I put a backpack on him to carry his own treats and water which made him go slower and listen better/not get distracted. I bought him a harness and we practice on our regular outings which used to be just throwing a ball for him, but now includes walking. The harness lets him know that he is working when it is on and he automatically slows down to my pace. He is a cattle dog/German shepherd mix and very intelligent.

Initially I kept correcting him any time he pulled even gently, but I found that his tension on the leash actually helped me to keep my balance, like 3 points on the ground instead of just my 2 feet. I now focus on him keeping tension on the leash as we walk and have him pull me whenever we go uphill. He automatically slows down even more when we go down hill and knows his left from his right, helpful when turning. I have been able to walk more and longer distances and just started taking him on hiking trails even where dogs are prohibited. No one has said anything to me when they see my obvious difficulty walking and just assume that he is a service dog.

I had a conversation at a park with a guy about our training together and he insisted that my dog was not a service dog, but I argued that although he has no official certification, which I have come to understand that there is no "official government certifying agency for dogs" although some organizations such as hospitals require a particular agency's certification, that he does in fact perform a service for me and I will treat him as one. My wife and I got motivated years ago to train him, he will be 7 this year, after watching and contacting the owner of "Skidboot" a cattle dog in Texas, who has made several tv appearances but is now no longer with us. If you haven't seen the video, check it out on youtube.

Now I really do not want to get into a debate over what makes a service dog, only to state that I have a problem and I am entitled to use whatever assistance I believe is necessary to help me to overcome/deal with my disability! I am fortunate today that my dog is able to help me, and do so more cheaply, with joy, and better than drugs and other assistive devices available today. So my point is if you are truly a dog person and understand dog behavior and needs, then maybe he/she could be a solution for you also... I have to go now, it's time to take Kenya for a walk and run some errands. He just came over to remind me.

Good luck and keep on moving!

Comment

Working...
                          X