Review-Max Mobility SmartDive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review-Max Mobility SmartDive

So finally, after several setbacks, I have had the opportunity to try the Max Mobility SmartDrive power assist on a Quickie Q7 ultra-light wheelchair, and as promised, I’m sharing my experience.

First, a little overview: the SmartDrive is simply a one-wheeled motor that clamps on the axle of almost any kind of wheelchair and it simply pushes the chair. (in the case of foldable wheelchairs, an adapter bracket is used)

You steer the chair the same way you steer a regular wheelchair, i.e. pushing or dragging one of the wheels. You turn the motor on/off with a Bluetooth wristband. You start the motor by pushing the wheels just as you would any regular wheelchair. Once you get it going, the motor kicks in, and the speed matches the speed you have set with your push, up to 5.5 mph.

Having explained all of that, you really should go over to the Max Mobility web site and watch the videos—this will all make perfect sense if you do.

So what are the advantages to this gadget? Well, weight, for starters. The unit only weighs 12.5 lbs! It quickly attaches/detaches from the chair, and I can easily just throw it in the back of my little Fiat 500 hatchback. The Q7 wheelchair I used with it weighs only about 14 lbs, so that was also something I can handle all by myself. Bottom line, with this setup, I can come and go without any help from anyone, and who doesn’t like that?

Just in case you’re wondering, I’m a 59 year-old 5’4” tall woman. I can walk very short distances with canes or a rollator. I still have reasonable use of my upper body, but am by no means is great shape. I don’t work out, or do anything remotely resembling real exercise or manual work, so hopefully that gives you a fair idea of my fitness level.

I’ve had the use of it for three days. So far, I’ve driven it on city streets and in big box stores. I would not recommend it on grass, especially when wet. What you also need to know is that this is definitely not for everyone. You need to have fairly decent reflexes, and at least the ability to push a manual wheelchair a little on a flat surface. But if you have that, this is a great mobility device that I have to think must be the lightest, most compact on the market.

Here are some things that I’m a bit concerned about:
    • Getting started on a hill from a dead stop is challenging. At times, I had to ask a stranger for a little push, but I’m not shy, so that wasn’t a big deal. Most people are more than happy to oblige. I live in a very hilly city, but if you’re a flat lander, that wouldn’t be a problem.

• Also, to get over bumps, you need to pop a wheelie (you can see in the video how this is done), which I didn’t have the time to master. If you don’t get the front wheels up off the ground, and hit the bump straight on, you stand a good chance of getting pitched forward out of the chair. Not good. So I have to find out if there’s someone who can train me on this technique.

• The one other issue I had was that at times, it seemed like when I had gotten going, and tried to push harder to speed up, it made the motor kick off instead. Tomorrow, when I return the unit, I’ll will ask the rep about this.

One really cool feature--you'll see in the video, how that woman handles the shopping cart like it's nothing--is absolutely as advertised! I was able to steer the cart around just as easily as she does! I don't even understand how it's that easy, but it's totally intuitive, and really fun! The biggest problem is the idiots who get in your way. You have to keep stopping the motor and then have to get it going again. I had serious wheelchair rage, but I'm sure lots of you are familiar with that.

Based on my experience, I think that I will go for trying to get insurance to buy one, and I like it enough that if they won’t pay for it, I will pay out of pocket. As for any info I get from the rep tomorrow, I’ll follow up here and let you know what I find out. If you have any questions, please ask. And oh, I don’t work for them—but I wish I did. I really like this product.
    PPMS
    Dx 07/13

Hi J-Bo

Thanks for giving such a thorough review on what seems to be an extremely useful assistive device.

It's always so much better receiving the info from someone who actually has used the device.

I am interested in this, and looking forward to any more "first-hand" experiences that you may provide.

Take care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Surprising cost

When I watched the video I was also in agreement that this looks like a very helpful device. However, when I googled the price I was surprised to find it sells for around $6,000.

Comment

Originally posted by thelegendlc View Post
        When I watched the video I was also in agreement that this looks like a very helpful device. However, when I googled the price I was surprised to find it sells for around $6,000.
        Wow!

Could probably purchase a couple decent motorized chairs or scooters for that price?

Take care
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Yep, it is definitely a pricey item. As I said, I'm trying to get at least some of it paid for by insurance, but even if they won't, I'm going to get it. I'm by no means well-to-do (just an average office schlub), but I know plenty of people who are happy to shell out for stuff like jet skis and other toys that nobody really needs. To be able to be totally independent is well worth it to me. I understand that a for a lot of people, this is out of reach, but the other thing is that with a lot of those scooters and motorized wheelchairs, you need a van and a lift, and those are a lot more expensive than this product is. With this, you can put it in any car you want. And you can even ride in somebody else's car.

As far as the other things I discussed with the rep:

The starting on a hill from a dead stop--yeah, that sort of is what it is. I think there might be a
          lot of cases where it might be possible to get going downhill or across, and once you get going, turn uphill.

Concerning the training to be able to master the wheelie skills, the rep told me that the OTs from the local healthcare system that I'm working with on this are able to teach me, so that's good.

And finally, the thing about the motor cutting out--you see, the way you make the motor stop is by banging the wristband against the wheel. The rep thinks that when I was trying to go faster, and pushing the wheels, I probably hit the wheel. That makes sense.

Anyway, the rep says that my insurance company usually takes up to 90 days to make a call on a claim like this, so now the waiting starts...
          PPMS
          Dx 07/13

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bo View Post
            To be able to be totally independent is well worth it to me. I understand that a for a lot of people, this is out of reach, but the other thing is that with a lot of those scooters and motorized wheelchairs, you need a van and a lift, and those are a lot more expensive than this product is. With this, you can put it in any car you want. And you can even ride in somebody else's car.
            Ahh yes - very good point. I forgot about that!

At this time I cannot afford a van with a lift to accommodate a motorized chair or scooter (which I don't have anyways). Maybe after I win the lottery.

Since I rely on others to take me places, it certainly would be much easier on them to lift the SmartDrive, and a lightweight manual wheelchair, into the car.

Thanks for the additional info J-Bo.

Take care

Comment

Working...
            X