Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best vegetable peeler?

Hi everyone,

It's apple peeling time and my hands are hurting! Any thoughts on the best vegetable peeler? Or apple corer/slicer?

Thanks!
    : )

How about one of those hand cranked apple peeler/corer/slicer things? That's what my Mom used. Think it was old back when I was a kid, I still have it and it still works. Bet they're still made or not to hard to find in a second hand or antique store. Such an ingenious device!

Comment

I have one of the ones for arthritis --with the fat handle it is great except the repetitive action is what tires me out so a bunch of apples would not be what I would do with it
      but then so would the old time peeler - going around and around I would have to have kids get that done with me being a arbitrator

Comment

a husband?

a husband, or kid could make a good peeler ;-)

Comment

Not sure if you've already found something, if not you might want to check out King Arthur Flour's website. The have an apple peeler, corer and slicer (24.95) item #3533.

sue

Comment

That's nice, Howie's mom! I want one!
            [insert motivational quote here]

DX of Lyme Disease May 2010/Still under investigation for body madness

Comment

For a peeler/corer/slicer, I would recommend one of the hand crank ones. It is sometimes a little difficult to get the apple core off of the machine, and they do still require a little cleanup on the peel and sometimes the core if the apple is not perfectly "straight".

The machine is also great if you remove the corer/slicer piece and use it for potatoes. Plus I sometimes use it that way for apples and core and slice them myself.

Amazon has a number of different models starting at $ 16.99. I believe they are all about the same quality. I got mine for $ 14 on sale at a kitchen store. The suction cup models are great because you can put them anywhere - even the kitchen table. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+peeler+slicer

If you are looking for a regular vegetable peeler - try the Kuhn Rikon swiss style peeler: http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Ori...8860683&sr=8-2

I bought mine 10 years ago and it still works great. I bought 3 more to keep as "backups" in case I throw it away accidentally with my peelings, or lose it, etc. Once you find something that works so great, you always need to get a backup one to have on hand !

Comment

Pampered Chef Apple Peeler

You can find them on www.shopgoodwill.com for half the price. They are usually there. Good luck.
                Momma to 3 little ones

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Never heard of this site before !

Comment

for routine use I swear by my "Oxo by Good Grips" fruit & veggie peeler. Comes in 2 styles depending on comfort and hand control/strength. In a lot of stores - both kitchen stores and big box stores. Black large rubberized handle. I have had one for over 10 years and still sharp and works like a dream. In fact, several non affected friends have bought them as they work so easily.

Oxo Good Grips line was originally developed for OT, esp strokes. Also makes a corer/slicer
                    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

Comment

Working...
                    X