Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions on what type of wheelchair to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any suggestions on what type of wheelchair to buy?

Hi there,

I'm finding for the third summer that I have to use a wheelchair out and about. I had been using my grandmother's old one (heavy!) and it's time to get a lighter one. We're renting one now since I just got out of the hospital.

We walked into the home health store and they tried to "upsell" me into a scooter, but I don't need one. They kept saying 'yet' which made me feel -- oh so good -- in front of my 8 y.o.

Anyway, any suggestions?

Thanks,
    me

3 things make sure you are fitted for one and second ask your Neuro to give you a prescription for it, the insurance should pay for it for you or at least a good portion of it. BC/BS rented mine for year and then it was mine it cost me about 40.00 total. Get a good cushion for it also.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Consider one that is lightweight, folds, and has soft rubber tires.

www.spinlife.com is a good place to compare models and read reviews.

While you are there you may want to check out the Shoprider Jimmie - a lightweight travel powerchair which is a little like a wheelchair but not quite a scooter. It fits in a car trunk and is more maneuverable than a wheelchair.

One of the issues with a wheelchair is you have to push it, or have someone else push it. A powerchair gives you more freedom. Also, for whatever reason, people treat you a little differently in a powerchair, you're less disabled because you can get around so easily.

I have a Quickie 2 wheelchair and a Shoprider Jimmie. I hardly ever use the wheelchair since getting the Jimmie.

http://www.shoprider.com/category/po...PB-UL8WPBS.php

Comment

I use a TiLite AeroZ1, which is an adjustable, aluminum, K0005 manual wheelchair. It's my first chair, and it's really great.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions!

Hi everyone,

In typical MS fashion, I posted a couple questions - and then totally forgot that I did. Oops. I had to giggle at myself.

Question on the scooter: how do you get it in and out of a vehicle? My husband has a wt. limit.

Thanks to everyone who responded!!
          Me

Comment

Get a lift for your vehicle

Hi Mom,

If you get a power chair, you'll want to also get a lift for your vehicle. Most auto manufacturers give rebates for assistive technology in new cars.

Scooter dealers may say they're portable, but it won't be long before you or your husband get tired of loading it into your vehicle.

Work with your doctor to make sure you get the best device to suit your needs now and in the future.

Comment

There's so many features and things that can be customized on a wheelchair, its a good idea to have an assessment by an OT to make sure it will suit your needs and your physical condition.

When I got my power chair, the OT recommended a few that would be good for me. The store let me try them out for a week or two at a time, to see which one I liked. When I'd picked one, the OT worked with the store to make sure everything was set up the way it should be for me.

I have an Invacare TDX-SP and I'm very happy with it. I also have a Quickie2 manual chair. I bought it used and it's not set up specifically for me, so it's not nearly as comfortable for sitting for long periods as the power chair.

Comment

Scooter - Very Lightwgt at 35lbs

Travelscoot - My 1st choice for a scooter. Can not be found in stores. This is a little on the pricey side, but it only weighs about 35 lbs with the battery. It can easily be placed in the back of a car or minivan without a lift. The reason it is so light wgt is it does not have a reverse. You do have to be somewhat mobile to use it. I take my walker for short distances and the scooter for longer trips.

Comment

I remember well your dilemma. You don't mention if you have good insurance, obviously it will impact your choices. My first manual wc, a small Invacare (I'm small)that was given to me by a OT friend who works at a nursing facility. Unfortunately many mobility devices are used by medicare pts for a short period of time. The families at his facility would donate manual and powerchairs. If money is an issue maybe you could check into this, craigslist, classifieds, etc.

I use a powerchair now, but we still use the manual for getting into people's houses. Many years ago when I started using a cane, then manual chair inside, I used a scooter for 5yrs outside. I wanted one with enough power to get around outdoors, some of the lightweight ones won't get up hills, go through grass, gravel etc. Insurance paid 80% of my Braun scooter,but we had to pay all of the $1300 lift that was installed in the back of our van. Also, my son was 12 when I got my scooter and I let him and his friends drive it for fun and help remove the handicap stigma.

I have had PPMS for 18yrs so my progression has been fairly steady and predicted by neuros. Of course there are treatments that may change futures for all of the newly diagnosed and I pray that happens. But it pays to be prepared and to be able to live life to the fullest for your young boy and husband.

Best of luck,
                  lori

Comment

I've owned a TravelScoot.

It has no reverse, but does turn on a dime.

You need to be able to lift your legs up (and off) the foot pegs to use it.

It has no armrests, so if you need to push to stand that can be an issue.

You need two hands to operate it.

It's quite peppy, very lightweight, portable, well-made.

However, for my life, became difficult to use, so I sold it. There is a company where you can rent/rent-to-buy a TravelScoot as well as a new product called a Luggie:

http://www.scootanywhere.com/

Comment

Hi
                      I would suggest you go to a PT or an OT to discuss what type of wheelchair would be the most useful, especially if you are going to use insurance to help purchase it. They then do all the work of writing the letter of justification etc to the insurance co. You will also need a prescription from your doctor.

Many insurance companies won't help with w/c, scooters etc for community- out of house use. Stupid rules, but they basically say that they only help fund chairs if needed to get from the bedroom to the bathroom.

As far as scooters I purchased for myself a GoGo /PRIDE lightweight scooter. It is wonderful gets broken down into 4 pieces and fits in the back of my Prius. And I can do it myself which keeps my independence!!

Once you have determined what you are going to buy consider looking on Craigs List, ebay etc. If you are having to pay out of pocket it can be more affordable, also go talk to your local w/c / medical vendor

Good Luck
                      GG

Comment

Working...
                      X