Possible new clue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible new clue

Being a limbolander, and in early internet scans to figure out the possible causes of what's happening, I ran across info that infective carditis can sometimes present similarly to MS. The paresthesias started after treatment with antibiotics for a suspected UTI that never was, and things have gone downhill ever since.

In light of this, I wanted to schedule my five year echo to follow the mitral valve prolapse, while in the back of my mind hoping they'd discover something that would give some clues if there were any. The results came in showing degeneration of TWO heart valves, both with regurgitation, and one which never had problems in the last two echos.

It's possible that this could lead to a diagnosis of something that would be 100% treatable, and is sometimes misdiagnosed as MS. It's called anti-phospholipid antibody disease, causes the formation of bloods clots, and sometimes overlaps with lupus. It is autoimmune, and could explain both the fever of unknown origin AND the clean MRI, along with all the symptoms that have been coming and going for weeks and years.

Holding out hope . . .

I'm waiting for the cardiologist to call back for scheduling, and will report this new finding to the neuro tomorrow at follow up.

Hoping it's not to early to get excited for a possible way out of this.

I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Originally posted by jumpinjiminy View Post
    It's possible that this could lead to a diagnosis of something that would be 100% treatable, and is sometimes misdiagnosed as MS. It's called anti-phospholipid antibody disease, causes the formation of bloods clots, and sometimes overlaps with lupus. It is autoimmune, and could explain both the fever of unknown origin AND the clean MRI, along with all the symptoms that have been coming and going for weeks and years.
    That's great news that you're getting some clues!

A lot of people -- including physicians -- either don't know or forget that there are about 100 different conditions that share signs and symptoms with MS. Anti-phospholipid antibody disease is one of the conditions that should be tested for as part of an MS workup.

It sounds like you're onto something. I hope you get the answers you need to get you feeling better soon.

Comment

Hi Jumpinjiminy

It's possible that this could lead to a diagnosis of something that would be 100% treatable, and is sometimes misdiagnosed as MS.
      I really like the 100% treatable part!

You're becoming a pretty good researcher from all of this.

Best to you and good luck!

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Well, unfortunately, the neuro didn't seem too impressed by that news. I asked about possible blood clots and he really didn't think they could cause such a thing. Soooo, on to the infectious disease do for a follow up. Neuro is thinking of doing a spinal tap but is deferring to the infectious disease doc on what to look for.
        I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Working...
        X