My get up and go has got up and gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My get up and go has got up and gone

Does anyone else have motivation or self-control problems? I just cannot seems to get motivated to do anything!

I'm an instructor at a college, and trying to make myself create tests or grade papers is like trying to get a cat to take a bath on its own! I always put it off until I absolutely can't do so another minute. I have three day weekends, and vow that I'm going to get things accomplished, but I never do. On Monday, when I'm scrambling around trying to get things done, I'm always trying to figure out what on earth I did with my time all weekend.

I also have problems trying to make myself go to bed at a decent hour. I have no self-control when it comes to this area at all. My bedtime is 4 to 5 a.m., and I get up at 11:30 a.m. I cannot seem to change this. I try to excuse myself with the fact that I work nights and get home around 10 p.m., but even with that, I could still go to bed earlier. On the few times that I have tried to go to bed around 1 or 2 a.m., it's like a fight breaks out. Part of me (the adult part) tells me to go to bed, but the stubborn kid in me refuses. It's very frustrating because the kid always wins!

I don't know what I'm going to do with myself! I'm totally exasperating me!
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

OMG Shashi, I am going through that same quote: My get up and go.. I used to work evenings and forced myself to sleep around 12-1AM, late would be 2-3AM, but not as late as you. Have no answer for you, sorry.

TODAY I just cannot get going. I stayed in bed, slept a little till nearly 4pm!! I can hardly think, move a muscle, both arms and legs heavy and hurt. Its taking A LOT just to type this.

I also take the supplements you do for FATIGUE.. so...what is going on? More fatigue? I bet its a deficiency in the brain. What else?

No sickness, no depression..just in a funk~!

At least you are not alone. Hope others come on and tell you (us) what to do to get out of this.

At least you have obligations to attend to.. I honestly do not anymore. Yeah for me.

You know I care..

Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Shashi, I don't think I have motivational problems yet-(he, he) but I do like to stay up late only because my ms sx improve later in the evenings.

I can be found cleaning the bathroom, scrubbing floors, walking on the treadmill at 1:00 in ln the morning quite often!

Sometimes I think we tend of put off doing things until we absolutely have to get them done. I think that's human nature.

Maybe you'll have to "retrain" yourself? Not sure about that. Anyhow good luck in that dept - I know I can't change myself into going to bed earlier- I have way too much fun in the wee hours!! Kathy

Comment

I am feeling the same way. I wish i could find my get up and go.

I am also a night owl also but i go to bed around 1:30. I hope that you get to feeling better soon.

I hope we all find out get up and go.

Comment

I know what you mean! I make lists of things to do, and then don't do them. I lie in bed and think about all the things I'll do that day, then don't get up and do them.

I guess it's like the inertia we learned about in physics: "the tendency of a body at rest to remain at rest".

Sorry I don't have any ideas of how to help you - if I did, I'd help myself too!

Comment

Definitely. But when I feel NORMAL, which is maybe one or two days every couple of weeks, I get things done automatically like everyone else. This has always been a problem, and has to do with feeling funky all the time. I've talked with my therapist about it, and she's going to try reconnecting the "want to do" part of me with the "do" part of me through hypnosis. I had a great response to hypnosis focused on anxiety, and want to try it for productivity now.

There is something definitely missing there. Not sure what it is, but it should be automatic, not forced. Just my two centavos.
            I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Originally posted by jumpinjiminy View Post
              Definitely. But when I feel NORMAL, which is maybe one or two days every couple of weeks, I get things done automatically like everyone else. This has always been a problem, and has to do with feeling funky all the time.
              I think you're right. Yesterday, I actually felt pretty good. The temperatures were a lot cooler, low humidity, and clear blue sky. And I got a lot accomplished. Managed to get some bills paid, laundry done, and worked on my school stuff.

It does make sense that when you don't feel well (which I don't probably 90% of the time now), you don't get things done.

As for going to bed early, I've tried retraining myself. I've set alarms and told myself I had to go to bed when the alarm went off and full intended to do so. But when the alarm finally rang, I'd just turn it off and go on with what I was doing. Oh well! (I remember my mom when she got older doing the same thing. She'd be up all hours of the night. I guess I inherited her night-owl genes.)
              Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
              Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Oh you just described me.....I just sit around. I do take dogs out but cause I have to. I just have no amibtion so I sit around on computer all day. I have to force myself to clean, etc. I get it done but I just have no motivation to do anything. Do ont have a cure, I just keeping I have to get my mind around things. I am almost always up late for no reason. Many nights I fall asleep on the couch just cause it easier than walking to bedroom. I guessw we just have to give ourselves a good kick in the butt some days.

JudySz

Comment

Going to bed at a decent hour takes practice. i am still working on that! I am definitely a night owl and definitely NOT a morning person. Unfortunately for me I have to be at work by 9 on most days, and a lot of the work out classes i take are in the am. I am finally getting to the point where I just force myself, my cut off time is 10 pm ( I use to be up until 2,3,4 am but having to be up by 7 this no longer works for me- my sx are MUCH worse when I don't get enough sleep) and that is it. No more excuses, I just go to bed.

As far as being motivated... I hear ya, except I am always very busy on the weekends... just not with stuff I am supposed to do. Then I have Wednesdays off as well...trying to motivate myself to clean and stuff is hard,like today! At least I did the dishes and cleaned up the kitchen a bit...

Comment

Well, I just purchased a portable, manual treadmill from Amazon. I know I need exercise, but a lot of times (all of the time) I don't get any. It's either too hot outside, too cold outside, or I just don't feel like going outside. So, maybe I'll set this thing up in my living room and walk. (More likely, I'll set this thing up in my living room, walk for a day or two, then end up shoving it under my spare bedroom and not using it again.) Another goofy idea from my addled brain!

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
                      I also take the supplements you do for FATIGUE.. so...what is going on? More fatigue? I bet its a deficiency in the brain. What else?
                      Jan dear, have you had your thyroid checked? Or are you currently taking thyroid meds? I was just reading on the ALA/ALC thread on the nutrition board where someone tried them, but was on thyroid meds and ended up being more fatigued than before taking them. If you have any thyroid problems at all, the two supplements can cause problems. (The same with diabetes meds. They can increase the effectiveness of the meds and actually in some cases, eliminate the need for them.)

When I read that by the other person, I thought of what you said here and wanted to check with you about it.

Hugs,

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
                        Jan dear, have you had your thyroid checked? Or are you currently taking thyroid meds? I was just reading on the ALA/ALC thread on the nutrition board where someone tried them, but was on thyroid meds and ended up being more fatigued than before taking them. If you have any thyroid problems at all, the two supplements can cause problems. (The same with diabetes meds. They can increase the effectiveness of the meds and actually in some cases, eliminate the need for them.)

When I read that by the other person, I thought of what you said here and wanted to check with you about it.

Hugs,

Lisa
                        HI Lisa.. thanks for the update and info. YES have had thryoid checked many times. And this lack of get and and go does not happen most days. I have learned to "pace " myself and listen to my body. Yes I make myelf do something phy is I can, as I have a giselle to stretch my spastic legs and go on it a few times a day. So dont think its the supplements.

Jan
                        I believe in miracles~!
                        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
                          HI Lisa.. thanks for the update and info. YES have had thryoid checked many times. And this lack of get and and go does not happen most days. I have learned to "pace " myself and listen to my body. Yes I make myelf do something phy is I can, as I have a giselle to stretch my spastic legs and go on it a few times a day. So dont think its the supplements.

Jan
                          Oh good! I had read that other person's experience, and it remind me of what you had said. I just wanted to be sure that you were getting the full benefit of ALA/ALC and not having any problems from taking them.

Comment

Working...
                          X