Ampyra side effects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ampyra side effects?

Just today I was prescribed Ampyra by my neuro. I should get it in about 2-3 weeks as the company I guess has to approve it through the insurance company. Anyhow I was wondering how many have had side effects from it. I was just reading in the handout given to me by my neuro that UTIs, dizziness, and MS relapses are some of the side effects. Akk! Dizziness is my main symptom and I have had it every day since my June 30th diagnosis. Has anyone gotten a UTI from this drug? Please let me know how your side effects are? I am wondering if this is not the medication for me

CrazyCatLady
    MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

I have been on it for 3months , I have a mild burning sensation in my feet (as if I had walked on hot pavement) a little loss of balance in the beginning, nothing other than that. it seemed to help my walking very quickly, some people say it doesn't seem to work after a period of time, but I know it does as I had to go offf of it for 4 days for another med reason and I had big time trouble walking, I had just gotten used to the improvement. "Patients Like Me" web site has a forum going on there that you might want to take look at. Seems the biggest problem in the beginning was getting thru the red tape to get the drug, good luck on it.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Side effect.....

I really wished I could have stayed on it as it was helping more than walking......improving mood, improving heat tolerance, improving fatigue........I started with violent spasms in my weak leg and after 3 months of now being off Ampyra, weak leg is almost back to itself........spasms have almost decreased but they are still there..... From what I read here, there is no loss in trying!

Comment

My biggest side effect has been INSOMNIA. (which about 11-15% of Ampyra takers do have, I've heard). I didn't think I'd have this side effect since I take so many meds at bedtime that usually make me very sleepy. I've now been on Ampyra for about 2 months. The insomnia is some better as long as I also take a Benadryl at bedtime.

But I am so happy with the good results of Ampyra that I'm certainly not going to give it up: I can get up from chairs more easily, I can turn over in bed more easily, I still can only walk with my walker-but I can do it with much more ease, I have less fatigue, and I can use my bad left hand and arm much more!! Before Ampyra it was just way too much work to try to type with 2 hands and use capital letters. Now, most of the time, I'm back to my good typing skills.

I wish you the best on this med.

Comment

Side effects

Hi ihtak , I have been on Amyra for two months now and I have insomnia also, that's why I am responding at 3.30 am! I have had about the same improvements as you also, but not a problem with my arm but my right leg.

I can turn over in bed without waking my dh to help and can stand longer at the sink doing dishes I still have to use my walker also but like you said it is easer than before. I did have a large numb stop on my left thigh and it is not there anymore. I have more energy and just feel more like my old self.

I can live with the insomnia my dh works night shift so it's not like I'm keeping him up or anything! I hope you continue to see more improvements and keep the ones you have

Comment

Karen,

You should not worry about possible side effects; all meds are required to list them. Even sugar pills have them.
            The only time they had UTIs in trials was in pre-phase one, when then where figuring out the right dosage.
            Now if your kidneys are not working properly or you take dosages to close together, the risk of UTIs will be there, other then that it is nothing to worry about.
            The other possible side effects are all stuff MSers get anyway, and just because someone in the 4 trails had them to me is normal thing to happen with MS.

I have been on Ampyra for 6-months and I have had only temporary side effects during the first month.

First was I back pain that lasted for about a week, I’m sure I was beside my body was not use to having a good posture. Yep it was just muscle pain from not slouching.

Second I had burning in my finger tips of my right hand for about two weeks. Before the burning I had numbness and tingling in finger tips, not just tingling. It is so nice picking up small objects without having to look to see if you really did.
            Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

6th day

I'm on my 6th day of Ampyra. So far the only effects are increased leg pain, dizziness and fatigue. I have great hopes for this med, as I can only walk about 20 feet with a walker, and it takes 5 minutes. I'm also hoping it will improve sensation in my hands (I'm a guitar player, and can just barely feel the strings).
              Any advice for the dizziness and fatigue? And has anyone gotten any decrease in numbness from this?
              Thanks,
              Larry

Comment

I should have posted sooner

Part of going to a research Neuro is getting drugs quickly... It hit the Market March 3rd... I've been on it since March 11th... I'll say this about the brain-candy. The Pros out weight the Cons on it. I've regained much of my lost cognitive skills with it. I do actually notice when it wares off (it is a 12hr release). The boon you gain from it to your other neurological pathways to improve most of your other functions is a nice bonus.

Remember, a lot for pill side effects are the same as our symptoms so the worst your out is a heavy craving for bananas (the pill does work on the potassium pathways). You'll know right away, like a day or two after the headaches stop, if its working. I've found that any pill that adjust brain chemistry gives a mild headache for a short time...

So... I say go for it... I have had good results with it

Comment

Working...
                X