one step at a time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one step at a time

I walked two miles today....without stopping! Granted, it took me an hour to do it. (before my relapse I walked 4 miles in an hour)

By the time I was heading home, my legs felt like they were being stung by hundreds of bees and I almost wore off the toe of my shoe, but I DID IT!

Will I pay for it? Probably.

Yeah!!!

I would be happy with a mile in 2 hours! It is great that you are working towards the way it used to be. Hope you don't "pay" for it tomorrow!!!

Comment

Hello Daisy

Yea for your 2 miles

For me, I've learned that living with MS means adjusting my goals, and not giving up just because I can't do things the way I used to.

I get those stingers all over my skin too when I'm too warm, or from exercising a little too long. Very odd feeling, isn't it?

Sometimes for me it just feels soooo good accomplishing a goal, that it's worth the MS Hangover the next day (and often the next day after that too!)

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

What on Earth was I thinking?

Well, I'm paying for it. Yesterday after the walk my legs have collapsed under me, my mind has been in a cloud, and my balance is WAY off!

I am so frustrated and discouraged.

Comment

Hello Daisy

Sorry you're paying for your two miles

I guess the accomplishment wasn't worth it after all.

Hope you're feeling better soon

Take care,
          KoKo
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Here's the hard part for me to accept with MS. I, personally, can't build up stamina. There a point I can go to, and beyond that I can't go.

Usually with exercise, you do it x amount of times today, that means you'll be able to do it x+1 tomorrow, and x+2 the next day, etc.

But it doesn't work that way w/my MS. I have to go to my pre-determined limit, then stop. Over the years, I've found out what that is, and granted some days it's not as far as before, or as long as before.

Very hard thing to accept because it goes contrary to what we've always thought and done.

Comment

"paying for it..."

Wow - you did prove that it is POSSIBLE for you to move back up in distance! I have been "blessed" with MS for almost 13 years, and I REALLY need to increase my leg strength (I laid off exercise when I was ill this winter, and I'm currently in PT) - but I'll share with you what a friend is doing. "Lynn" was the head of our area support group, and after spending eight years in a wheel chair (with legs that refused to work), she suddenly found that she was able to take a step to the restroomone morning about two years ago, rather than transferring to her chair. Lynn gradually worked up from one block of walking per day, to two blocks, to eight blocks eventually... and this started in spring. By the fall, she was walking almost two miles per day. Lynn's biggest thing was going outside when it wasn't too hot, and not pushing too hard.

This was two years ago - and Lynn and her husband have three foster children (long story!!), and she regularly walks with them to the park or takes a walk out into the country with the family. Or her husband stays with the kids, and she walks with her dog. And cell phone.

For me, heat really gets to me, but I have found that what helps my balance most is the Wii Fit and our exercise bike. And for both of these, if it's too much at the time, I can lay down for a nap.

I'm so proud of you for going so far yesterday - you've shown that your body can do it, but now is the time to see how your body do it without you crashing after the fact!

~Angie

Comment

Originally posted by daisy74 View Post
                I walked two miles today....without stopping! Granted, it took me an hour to do it. (before my relapse I walked 4 miles in an hour)

By the time I was heading home, my legs felt like they were being stung by hundreds of bees and I almost wore off the toe of my shoe, but I DID IT!

Will I pay for it? Probably.
                but you DID it!!!! I bet you felt spectacular, afterwards!!!!!!
                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
                X