Visit with neurologist today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visit with neurologist today

Still undiagnosed. I'm wondering how long I will be saying this.
    Anyway I had a nerve test done on my legs today. He did the arms 4 weeks ago. As far as I know things looked good, he told me they were done to check my back.

He then discussed starting me on Copaxone, yet has said he won't diagnose me with MS until we have gone through every test to rule out everything else.
    He then said he didn't want to start me on that med because some of the side effects can make me feel worse and right now I am feeling, for the most part, ok and he said he knows I do not have progessive MS because I am not going downhill and getting worse everytime he sees me. He tells me I surely don't have a certain type but won't tell me for sure that I have it at all.

He gave me a cortizone injection and said see you in 3 weeks. The way he talks to me about everything while I am in his office, a person that might be there with me would just assume I have MS, but he will not give me that diagnosis.
    I love him for the fact that he wants to rule out everything else under the sun, but it is getting frustrating going through test after test and getting positive results and then noticing that he obviously is leaning heavily towards MS. I am to the point now that I just want to know. I just want a name. I guess I am getting depressed and frustrating and just want it all over with now.

Do you think maybe he is waiting for another flare before giving me a definite diagnosis? This is what I have been wondering. I'm just so confused....
    DX 10/26/11

Diagnosing you with MS if there is another possible diagnosis will change your life in so many undesirable ways.

Becoming uninsurable for a variety of insurance coverages is just the beginning. There is the possibility that present or future employment could be jeoporidized.

Financial effects of very expensive treatements with unpleasent side effects, some of which need routine injection, that can cause unpleasent site reactions.

You wouldn't be too happy to find out later that those life altering effects of a MS dx were unnecessary.

If you are stable for now and you otherwise like your doc, he may be using the luxary of time that is available to confirm your dx based on more sx's, or an exacerbation, or more conclusive MRIs w/enhanced lesions.

I don't know if it's possible to un-ring the bell of a MS dx.

Comment

I know...like I said I love him for checking everything under the sun before he tells me anything definite.
      I am just frustrated. I think the thing that frustrates me the most right now is people asking me..."Have they found anything out about you yet?" and all I have to say is "No, I still don't know what is wrong"
      It is always nice to just "know" what is wrong....but if I can have something minor, other than MS, causing all of this I will be one of the happiest girls in the world...
      Just wondering if it is normal to get so frustrated while going through the diagnosis process....
      DX 10/26/11

Comment

Oh and I should have said...I am going through all of these tests and having "Negative" results....in my mind if everything is ok then that is a positive thing....lol
        DX 10/26/11

Comment

About Dx

Just tell them you have a short in your wiring and they haven't found where it is yet
          techie
          Another pirated saying:
          Half of life is if.
          When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
          Dogs Rule!

Comment

LOL...I like that response
            DX 10/26/11

Comment

Working...
            X