Finding Legal Defenses...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding Legal Defenses...

What kind of resources are available for someone who needs to find legal representation against a spiteful ex-spouse. The wrinkle in this is that I have been unemployed for a while and I have no resources to legally defend myself, but my ex-wife will now resort to finding ways from the state to get child support from me.

So, as of now I am unsure what my next step will be since I am still unemployed.

I'm not sure I follow you. You want to a lawyer to get out of paying child support?
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

i don't know what state you're in, yet most have legal aid that you can utilize to work through what motions she hits you with and if you are unable to work due to ms what you can do.

google it for your state. good luck!!
      Jen Dx'd 5/11
      "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

how can she get income from someone with no income? Do you get SSDI? Is that what she is going after?
        Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
        ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Check with your local chapter of the NMSS for referrals. Check with your local chapter of the Legal Aid Society and also Google things like "pro bono legal San Antonio."

Comment

I don't know how up to date it is :

http://www.sanantonio.gov/sapd/SAFdirectory/legal.htm

I don't know what the situation is, but please remember that if your ex has court ordered child support, once she applies to the OAG for help in getting the support (which is what I'm assuming she did if "the state" is trying to get the support ), any action taken is out of her hands. She can't select the actions taken against you.

The system is in place for the best interest of the children involved. The support is for them and unfortunately for everyone involved , both the economy and maybe MS is playing a part in the children not getting that support.

I can't say anything regarding the support but I do agree you need help. Child support is child support and is owed regardless of the owing parent's finances, but can, in the right circumstances, be temporarily modified until that parent can support themselves and the child.

I'm sure you've looked, but here's info from the OAG :
            https://www.oag.state.tx.us/cs/parents/faq.shtml#apply

And if you do apply for and get SSDI, that can be garnished for child support,too:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...1712/related/1

Comment

Working...
            X