Dry mouth from meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry mouth from meds

Anyone ever have dental problems caused by the meds we take? I have dry mouth, which led to periodontal disease and a little bone loss. The bone loss worries me.

Had a deep cleaning and scaling etc to get rid of the infection in my gums. The hygienist was pretty certain my meds caused the dry mouth and the dry mouth caused the periodondtal disease.

I've been on Xanax, Ambien, and Klonapin for a long time. Over the years I've tried a lot of things for insomnia. It didn't help that I haven't gone to the dentist in 3 years.

Wondering about your thoughts on this.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Too

I, too, get dry mouth from my meds.

And, one of my pain meds may lead to bone loss in the teeth.

I keep myself hydrated very well. Utilizing ice chips is one good way to keep your mouth moist. Sugar free candy is another way.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Me three

Hi Marti!

I too have dry mouth from some of the meds. I keep very hydrated and I also use Biotene oral rinse for dry mouth. It leaves no burning sensation at all. I use it 2 to 3 times daily but it says you can use up to 5 times. It's worth a try.
      And also stay hydrated. That is what my oral surgeon recommnended which I do anyway.
      My lips get very dry also and I just dab a little vaseline on them.

My best....
      Susie Q

Diagnosed 6-28-14
      RRMS
      Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Was just reading today that sugar free gum that has xylitol in it actually kills bacteria and is recommended by dentists.

Been making lip balm with coconut oil, beeswax and a scent.

Comment

Working...
        X