Neurologist left the practice & MRI results have not been explained :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neurologist left the practice & MRI results have not been explained :(

Is someone familiar with these Brain MRI Results? : Hyperintense foci within subcortical white matter on FLAIR images. Microvascular white matter change. Demyelination. Gliosis and UBO's. Sequela of chronic migraine.
    I had only 2 appointments with Neurologist, he ordered Brain & Cervical MRI's but left the practice/area before my Results were explained to me, I have the results. (I usually get my results, I've had cancer before) I'm so scared.

Has he been replaced by another neurologist? Is there someone remaining at the practice who can explain the results to you? A doctor's explanation would be better than a lay person here.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

tootsietic: All they are saying here is that you have some areas of white matter on FLAIR image, which is a type of fast spin image on the MRI that brings out these types of things in the brain. They list the differential diagnoses as: Microvascular white matter change. Demyelination. Gliosis and UBO's. Sequela of chronic migraine. None of these say "consistent with Multiple Sclerosis", so you can breathe a sigh of relief for now.

For the moment you should look for another neurologist to find out a reason for your symptoms, and to go over your MRI with you in detail.

Good luck, take care.
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Usually when a doctor leaves a practice, the office lets you know in advance, and will also let you know who is available to see you instead. Another doc may join the practice, or the office/departing doctor will suggest other neurologists you could see.

If the doctor is relocating nearby, you might choose to continue to see him in the new office.

At any rate, advice on the internet is not nearly as good as finding a doctor to review your MRI, examine you, and then discuss what is next.

Comment

There's no one taking over his practice. And the Dr he listed doesn't have an opening until December. I don't feel it's fair that it's a 7 week wait to have the MRI results explained. Also I thought one of the main causes of Demyelination was MS? And doesn't the Gliosis indicate strokes have taken place? Also hyper intensive spots indicate a change too... Isn't someone here familiar with this?

Comment

There are many different demyelinating diseases, of which MS is only one. When they report "microvascular change" that means it is in a very small blood vessel, and could be the result of a migraine headache, normal aging, or other problems, Or non-problems.

Gliosis means some scarring has occurred. I have no idea what UBO is/are.

If there are "hyperintense" areas that means they show up bright on some of the images, and they mention sub-cortical, or "below the cortex." That is an area where MS lesions may occur, but so can other things.

All of these findings you mention might occur in the MRI of a normal person who happened to get an MRI for some other reason - headaches or seizure, or someone else in the family recently had an aneurysm and the doc decided to screen everyone in search of a genetic cause.

Even if some of us might be familiar with some of the terminology, it doesn't mean we can interpret what your MRI means, because the test results have to be put in the context of your symptoms, your clinical history and your physical exam.

Perhaps you could discuss the MRI with your primary care or whoever referred you to the neurologist. A doctor who knows you can at least put the MRI report in context even if they are not an MS expert.

Comment

primary

I too would either insist on an explanation sooner from the neuro's office or make an appointment with the primary. The MRI is just part of the picture that needs to be explained in your context. Not, the context of just looking at what the radiologist saw and interpreted on the report.
              God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Working...
              X