Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any runners out there? :)

Hello,

I was curious to see if there are any runners on this site? I was recently diagnosed last month with relapsing remitting MS.. Before this life changing experienced happened to me I used to run everyday but I'm kind of hesitant now because I'm scared I will get dizzy. I have been taking yoga now for two months, swimming and walking. I just really would love to start picking up my pace and run. Running makes me feel happier and ever since my relapse in August I haven't been able to enjoy this feeling. Any suggestions?

Yes! (And I'm not the only one.)

I have had MS for about 8 years, and was a runner for about 13 years before that. My primary symptom is a single-leg weakness and slight gait abnormality, so running is harder mechanically and I'm slower than pre-MS. But I still run every week, and am running several 1/2 marathons this fall. FYI, I'm 51.

I will say that in the beginning I was worried about tiring myself out and possibly "flaring" my disease, but then I realized that I had been doing distance running for many years before my first flare, so that kind of stress is not my trigger -- and it isn't. I can run and exhaust myself without worrying about that. It might be different for you and you might have to feel your way.

Running was a huge part of my identity before I got MS and it is now a HUGE part of how I am treating the disease. If you can keep running, try to do so, even if only a little. They are finding out more and more about the tremendous benefits to brain health of sustained aerobic effort. And of course it will help with strength and function and mental health, etc., etc.

One thing: I took Avonex for 5 years and never had a runner's high during that time. I'm on Tysabri now, and my endorphin rush is back.

Comment

Hi Naty15,

Yes, I have been a runner since 1999 but this changed drastically one year ago after being diagnosed with MS.
      Now I have too much leg spasticity and pain to run comfortably, but I try it at times for a very short distance like 1/2 mile....that's the farthest I can run now; It just hurts too much. I used to run 3-5 miles per day so things have changed.

What I do instead is ride my bike or use the elliptical machine at the gym, which gives me a similar cardio workout. There is no impact on my legs like running because I slide the whole time. I feel like I am skiing and love the way it makes me feel.
      Nikki

Comment

I was

I was but nervous about raising core temperature. I am doing Cupid's Undie run in Feb regardless as this was my favorite fun run to do it's one mile outside in your underwear.

I don't know if it I can do it on the regular without setting off a flair as I just came off my first one.

Comment

I sort of run. I do a few 5k races a year but my best time is just under a 10 second mile so I'm not breaking any records.

My balance isn't great but I make an effort to remain focused, especially on my tendency to drop my toes when I'm really tired, so far I have not had any problems, knock wood, antijinx.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Your attitude is spot on!!

Hi Nat,

I've had MS for 25 years and I can still run - not very fast, and I use a swedish wheeled all terrain walker to make sure I don't fall (one leg with mild spasticity and very mild balance issues), but I STILL RUN!! I started very early with MS at 19 and was a total gym bunny for at least 12 years after that. Yes I've had really rough times, frightening times but I have never given up on exercise and I believe that is what has kept me so well. I'm telling you this as when I was diagnosed I would have given ANYTHING for some who had had MS for 25 years to tell me that everything may just end up OK. SO I'm telling you now, keep up with your running, I'd also suggest resistance training to maintain core strength and just go girl!!!! Keep positive and everything will turn out better than you can possibly imagine :-) x

Comment

Working...
            X