Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tecfidera and burning sensation

Hello All,

I have searched and searched online but have found not post regarding this. I have been on Tecfidera for a little over a year and I continue to have the flushing sensations. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat or how I take the meds. The flushing sensation I can handle since it only last about 15 minutes but I also get a burning sensation in my vagina area. I know it is associated with the Tecfidera because it happens at the same time of the flushing and goes away at the same time. This bothers me tremendously. Has anyone else had this symptom?
    -TecGirl

Hi TecGirl,

Wow, I just stumbled across your post, while looking for the same answers. I just started tecfidera a couple of days ago and I was only starting with 1 pill (starter dose) a day. Yesterday afternoon while at work (16 hours after my 2nd day) The flushing came on suddenly but it felt strange, like the flu was just hitting me (same symptoms as prior avonex).

To make a long story short, I went home, had a low grade fever, extreme body aches, chills, abdomen pain, and still extreme flushing and all at the same time my female area like you was burning so bad around the whole area that it felt like there was a blow torch under me!

I was really hoping that I would tolerate tecfidera and not get the usual side effects to the extreme, but the burning down south? And the flu-like symptoms? This is all too extreme for me and the frustrating part is I can't get any answers from anyone, biogen, fda. My neuro only could say its due to an immune response to the tec.

Another strange thing or coincidence, I got my period today the very next day after the burning feeling, and its not even due for another 12 days or so. So I find it all strange how only taking 2 pills on the starter dose could cause all of this and I really wanted to stay on the tec and don't know if I should wait and try again? Have you continued with the tec and how are you doing? Has anyone else gone through this?

Comment

I still get flushing and burning (since I started Tec in Feb). I was told some people never really stop this s/e. I use cold wet kitchen towels and it helps me. I have to change them for new cold wet towels as it literally warms up the cloth as it cools my face/chest/neck.

Most of the time I simply ride it out, but some instances are worse than others. Thanks for letting my know I am not the only one.

My husband jokes and teases me that I a simply all "hot & bothered"
      Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

Comment

Working...
      X