Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New symptoms from long-term medications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New symptoms from long-term medications?

I've been taking gabapentin, baclofen and ropinirole for a very long time--they seem to be the magic combination to keep the leg twitchies and spasms under control. I'm 62 and have developed a confounding issue with vertigo.

My neurologist's recent scans showed no MS activity, and my primary doc's tests for thyroid/adrenal function are normal. I don't have ear or cardiac issues that would create a problem. Has anyone developed a similar problem after long-term use of any of these medications?
    Peg

Hi Peg,

One of the side effects of ropinirole is vertigo according to this study: Side effects of ropinirole in patients with idiopathic Parkinson's disease http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/18700440

“CONCLUSIONS: The non-ergoline dopamine agonist, ropinirole, most commonly causes nausea and sleepiness,... vertigo, dyspepsia, orthostatic hypotension, leg oedema.”

Everyone is different but my wife's leg jerks while sleeping improved greatly when she added magnesium citrate (not oxide) nightly. Magnesium citrate is absorbed much better than the commonly found magnesium oxide.

Apparently, magnesium deficiency played a role in her RLS.

Best to you, Peg. I am saying a prayer for you.

Comment

I took ropinerole for years until it finally started causing vomiting. When I first started Baclofen it caused dizziness. I think the combination between Baclofen and ropinerole could be the culprit. Now I just take Baclofen and gabapentin to control those symptoms.

I feel for you. RLS is torture and when you add MS muscle cramps you've got a suffering body. I hope you find a combination of drugs that control your dx without causing dizziness.

Comment

I developed a problem with vertigo about two years ago, I've had 4 episodes that come on so suddenly that I literally have to drop everything and lay down before I fall down.

I don't take any of the meds you do. While your meds could be a cause, if you have taken that combo for a long time successfully, perhaps it is not the culprit.

I don't have an answer. Mine is definitely positional, and certain exercises help. I hope you can figure out your trigger. I haven't figured it out yet for me.

Comment

I've had vertigo issues that the ENT said were little crystals that break loose in the inner ear and move where they don't belong and cause vertigo. It actually has a name...BPPV (benigh proxismal positional vertigo). Several folks in my age range (I'm 63) have had this multiple times. It's worse the first few times but becomes less impactful and easier to manage over time. Of course in my case it could be MS related but these other gals don't have MS.
          Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Working...
          X