Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure if MS, but anyone else afraid of fireworks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 44. I never had a problem with fireworks as a child. I've never had a "bad experience" with them, as my family never bought/used them. I'm not a veteran, I've never been shot..... in short, NO reason to have a fear of fireworks. And yet............

Every year it gets worse. Part of this, I'm sure, is that every year, more and more neighbors think that they HAVE to blow up as MANY things as they can. But last night, I was at the point of tears. My DOG handled it better than I did. Seriously. And he wet the couch last time we had a thunderstorm.

I don't know if it has anything at all to do with the MS, with the "sensory overload" issue, or what. But if ANYONE here has any insight, please share!!! I know that tonight is going to be almost as bad as last night, and I'd rather not spend it in bed with earplugs, on the verge of tears, while reading to keep my mind busy.
    Mom was right: life's NOT fair. What she never told me is that "fair" is often irrelevant.

I'm not afraid of them, but I sure don't like them--even just the noise from inside my house. Last night I took half an Ativan, tonight it isn't as bad. I definitely think my issue is sensory overload.

Comment

I wouldn't call it fear, but I have this super sensitivity to stuff like this now. Coincidentally, it started about the same time that I had my first MS symptoms (only realize that in retrospect).

Kid who was living in the apartment downstairs from me would come home, slam the door and put his music on full blast and I could feel the bass through my body. I would get so upset, and everyone treated me like I was this crazy overreacting wacko. But shortly after that I was getting what I now know was L'hermitte's.

Now, any loud noise, fireworks, people yelling...just puts me on high alert. Wonder which comes first? The MS or the sensitivity?

Comment

It's definitely the noise, the bangs and the screaming crowd, plus all the flashing lights. Sensory overload.

Comment

I have never "enjoyed" fireworks

It's one of those things I used to go to years ago, arrive early, sit uncomfortably. I'm like you, I don't know why, but I have never enjoyed fireworks.

Especially, since the US has been dealing with war functions. I don't see or hear any enjoyment at listening to booms now. I don't go to watch either anymore. I personally find it ironic that neighbor kids who did and are still doing, everything they can to avoid military, spend days upon days before and after the fourth, firing the biggest booms they can locate. Ironic

Comment

Originally posted by profe View Post

Very possibly could be MS-related.

In my experience, stress and MS interact in two ways:
            1. Stress affects my MS.
            When I am stressed, it could trigger MS symptoms and an MS flare.
            2. MS affects my stress.
            Normal "stressors", and, even things which were not stressors in the past, now seem "bigger", somehow, and more difficult to cope with. Yes, sometimes scary. Sometimes overwhelming.
            I suspect that what is happening to you is #2. That MS is just making it more tough to "deal".

I don't have great stress management suggestions (although you'll find lots of them on the internet, if you look).

But, I'm pretty intentional about stress prevention. As much as you can (next year, I guess), avoid fireworks.

~ Faith
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

yes

Fireworks are too much for me. But I don't think it's MS; I hate noise in general.

Comment

An MS research blog just posted about a rare problem caused by MS related to noise, hyperacusis. The symptoms include pain from loud noises or specific types of noises, which can lead to avoidance and even a noise phobia. I know loud noises bother me, and are sometimes uncomfortable, but I'm not sure I'm in physical pain due to them.

http://multiple-sclerosis-research.b...peracusis.html
                Optic Neuritis in 2004, Dx with RRMS in 2012. Copaxone, Sept. 2012 - September 2013. Gilenya, February 2014 -

Comment

Originally posted by HobbitHead View Post
                  I wouldn't call it fear, but ... Now, any loud noise, fireworks, people yelling...just puts me on high alert. Wonder which comes first? The MS or the sensitivity?

ME TOO==
                  I seem to cower at any loud noise. YES, a person yelling will even send me "overboard"
                  Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
                  X