Recovery is possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovery is possible

I wanted to post my story to offer some hope to others. A year ago today, I was starting my biggest relapse ever. My balance was terrible, I could walk a few meters at best, and I began my 10 month "vacation" from work. I was not fit to do much. I actually feared that my life (fun stuff anyway) was over at 33. I was hanging onto the hope that Tecfidera coverage would come through and that it would change my life. The Copaxone injections were causing me to feel anxious and depressed all the time. It was all very scary!

A year later, my balance is 98% normal. I don't need to hold on to furniture anymore, and in fact I walk around indoors like I did before MS. I volunteered at a big event this weekend and faced heat, large crowds of demanding people, sold hundreds of tickets to customers and walked about a km going back and forth from booths. I still need a cane but just because of spasticity in my hamstrings and quads. I'm pretty stiff. This sort of event would have been impossible for me to even consider a year ago!

I don't even know when the progress took place, because it is so gradual. I can measure my progress by what taxi drivers say, haha. If I get a repeat one, they usually say something like "You can walk so much better than 3 weeks ago" or "When I picked you up last month you couldn't step down from the curb but now you can."

I know that yoga really helped, and that going to swim a few times a week has been the best thing I've done to help myself. The Tecfidera and Fampyra have really settled how I feel as well. Heat no longer gets to me. The next thing is they are going to try to inject Botox into my large leg muscles to loosen them up. My neuro described my legs as "incredibly stiff". Fingers crossed that it will make a big difference!

My point is, things can get better. I went from being house bound to being a part of the world again. I feel like I've travelled a ridiculously hard road, but there was something good at the end I hope to encourage someone who is in a bad state the way I was a year ago.

Good, positive post. Especially for newbies who may be discouraged at their current symptoms.

Because MS, for most of us, is a relapsing remitting illness, the relapses can be bad. But, they go into remission.

You mentioned yoga, swimming and meds as things that seemed to be partly responsible for your improvement. That's a good point.
    • Exercise is always good, and can retrain the brain to do some things that it could no longer do for awhile, like physical therapy does.
    • DMD's (disease modifying drugs) can reduce the severity and frequency of flares. Other meds can improve symptoms.

Lots of other things we can do. Changes in diet, reducing stress, etc.

Thanks for the positive post!

~ Faith
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Wonderful story! Congratulations on your recovery - and hard work getting there.

Thanks for the inspiring post.

Comment

So happy for you!

Comment

Thank you!

Very inspiring, thank you!
          6 years ago MS took a massive nosedive; Walking became impossible for me, my sight is (though visual acuity is about par for my age) failing due to pain when I focus visually on something, my voice is almost gone entirely and failing and I am whispering, my coordination is almost worthless, Do my best to Do yoga and follow an exercise plan, but I fail Largely due to fatigue and Muscle stiffness/coordination,

On a positive note, thanks to Tysabri my MS has gone into remission, I am switching to tecfedara in 3 months. I am not looking forward to the washout I will do my best to remain hopeful. Sickly cripple, I am totally dependent upon others. I was diagnosed at 19 RRMS then 6 years ago I went to SPMS Was told I "should get my affairs in order"… That hit hard! I lost My ability to work And am unable to stay focused on a task for very long. I spend a lot of time arguing with my computer. LOL
          But, I keep fighting, or trying to Fight anyway, for my squids (children)
          … your Story gives me hope! I know that the Odds of A recovery such as yours is all but impossible but Some improvement is better than none

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Positive MS what a great inspiration. I also had a real bad relapse a few years ago. Unable yo walk for several days then walker on to cane now independent. Although my balance isn't great.

It took me 1 1/2 years to get back to almost full time work but am doing it now for close to a year. Things aren't great the past few months but I didn't think I would ever come back from that relapse. I do remain hopeful for more improvement still.

I hope you stay on this good path.

Comment

One more thought to add to my post. I find that my sudden severe relapses tend to resolve back to or close to baseline better than the slow insidious progression that occurs. The middle of the night sudden inability to walk, vertigo, etc is scary but tends to get better with steroids, time, etc. at least so far for me.

Do others have this same experience? Do everything possible and hope for the best. No regrets then.

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments guys! Arktik, I'm glad you still have a fighting spirit I know it's the only thing that kept me going in the beginning.

AriD, sounds like you had quite the relapse too! I've been told that recovery is possible, even long after a relapse. The nervous system is so tricky! I've only been in active MS mode for a few years, but I had about 3 small relapses and one big one. I never fully recovered from the smaller relapses, because the next one would start as I was beginning to recover.

I am now above the level of functioning I had before the big relapse, so I feel hopeful. I haven't had any progression since starting Tecfidera, none that I can see anyways, so maybe this is it? I can hope, haha.

Comment

love positive also! that's awesome...

so i noticed you said tecfidera has helped, so i guess you went off the copaxone? i just began it, and it's been bumpy and so i'm reluctant to try again..
                  Jen Dx'd 5/11
                  "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Yes, I've been on Tecfidera since last November. I've notice a great improvement in everything from how I felt on Copaxone. Tec made me tired for a few weeks at first, and I flushed for a while, but overall I'm definitely happy I made the switch. I no longer feel like I'm constantly on the verge of a relapse.

Comment

Working...
                    X