MS Medications????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Medications????

Which ones make you gain or lose weight????? Newbie. Would love to know. And do any of you follow strict diets of any sort????

Thanks in advance......
    Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
    RRMS
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Hi Susie,

I can't speak as to which meds make you gain/lose weight as I've always had a problem with my weight so at this stage who knows but I was recently dx with Diabetes and have adopted a very very low carb diet. Not easy at all, but I've stuck to it and have actually lost weight, kept my blood sugar on target and feel so much better.

Good Luck!
    Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
    RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
    Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

Comment

The front-line MS meds shouldn't make you gain or lose weight, that isn't how they work.
      That being said, you may need to build a tolerence to your med and that can mean some weight loss at first.

As far as diet, that's a loaded question and you'll find many answers. When in doubt, keep it simple as you learn what works for you. Don't forget to include some kind of exercise that you can manage.

Always check with your primary care Dr. before you commit to any large-scale changes.

Comment

I have found Copaxone to be weight neutral. I've been on it 10 years and have only recently gained 10 pounds largely because I'm eating more and not able to exercise as much due to a new work schedule.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

I've been on quite a few, and the only one I noticed any difference in weight with was Gilenya, which was weight loss (which was not attributed to any change in appetite or my diet). This is listed as one of the less common side effects of Gilenya. http://www.drugs.com/sfx/gilenya-side-effects.html But I've also read about people who experienced weight gain while on it http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...t+gain+gilenya

People have mentioned gaining weight on Tecfidera, but that seems more connected to what people are eating to help them with side effects, especially in the beginning. I've also read where people have attributed weight gain with some of the other injectables, but I don't think that's very common. And if you feel unwell on any of the DMD's and therefore don't eat as much, like Bob698 already mentioned, it only makes sense you'd experience weight loss.

The main thing is finding a DMD you feel comfortable taking, with side effects you can tolerate, and most importantly, seems to work. You can always modify your diet and/or start an exercise program if this is something that concerns you.

Best of luck ,
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks all! I will know more on the 29th when I see neurologist. Started Amandatine for fatique. Hope it kicks in fast!!!

Have a pleasant weekend everyone.

My best,
            Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
            RRMS
            Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Should you want to get scrawny, I'd vote for Aubagio. Mind you, your hair falls out, and you develop a sickly greenish- grey pallor, and your teeth hurt.

But, you do drop two dress sizes, in oh, three weeks. Not that you feel well enough to leave the house.

Copaxone was neither here nor there, so far as weight went. Beta was the same.

Comment

Working...
              X