UTI & MS flare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTI & MS flare

UGH I am experiencing a UTI, and dang is it making my MS roar its ugly head.

I started "Pyridium" yesterday....HERE IS A FUNNY NOTE:
    As per the drug, my urine is now dark orange...AND when I first noted it, I actually jumped with concern (LOL) before realizing it was the Pyridium turning my urine that weird color.

Well, I am sure tired, my MS symptoms are playing mean with me.
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

I'm surprised your doctor didn't tell you about the drug turning your urine orange - mine always does. I hope you feel better soon.

Comment

Hi, I hope you are also on a antibiotic because if I remember right that just relaxes the urinary track, also it seems like it made me very tired. I am not a doctor but I am pretty sure that does not stop the infection at all. Hope you are feeling better soon!
      PEACE
      Tortis

Comment

Originally posted by tortis View Post
        Hi, I hope you are also on a antibiotic because if I remember right that just relaxes the urinary track, also it seems like it made me very tired. I am not a doctor but I am pretty sure that does not stop the infection at all. Hope you are feeling better soon!
        PEACE
        Tortis
        Thank you tortis, my Doc didn't prescribe an antibiotic. Suppose I will be calling them back.

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
          Thank you tortis, my Doc didn't prescribe an antibiotic. Suppose I will be calling them back.
          Oh, geez. What's up with some of these doctors? From Medline:

Why is this medication prescribed?

Phenazopyridine relieves urinary tract pain, burning, irritation, and discomfort, as well as urgent and frequent urination caused by urinary tract infections, surgery, injury, or examination procedures. However, phenazopyridine is not an antibiotic; it does not cure infections.
          http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a682231.html

Can't believe your doctor told you to start pyridium without knowing this, starting you on an antibiotic, and sending your urine to be cultured first. Once you start pyridium, a lab can't run any tests on cultures to learn exactly what bacteria you have and then determine whether or not you are on the correct antibiotic. They won't be able to make out anything because the orange dye stains the slides.

Had a similar issue once when my urologist told me to go on on pyridium and then ended up in the ER. The ER doc made sure to give me a lecture about the lab being unable to run any tests to confirm anything, but I had just been to my urologist earlier that week and had been cleared of any UTIs before placement of a temporary indwelling catheter. (It was a temporary solution to my frequent UTI's, that had also led to some very serious infections, until my next appointment the following week when I'd be taught how to self cath).

Of, course, wouldn't you know it all my problems had to start on 4 day holiday weekend, so the urology office was closed. Called his answering service and he told me pyridium should solve my problem (thinking everything was just irritated from the Foley catheter). Finally went to the ER because the pain only got worse. Because they suspected I really did have another UTI , they started me on Bactrim, anyway, hoping it'd be the right antibiotic. Since my symptoms all completely subsided, it's surmised it was indeed the correct one. Well, that and having the catheter removed (here it was latex and I'm allergic to latex ) all solved my problem.

I really hope you are put on the right antibiotic, too, so you will feel better soon!

Best of luck ,
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I will say my GP and my urologist have been really wonderful about UTIs.

I bought myself a supply of the sterile cups, I have test strips at home (bought on amazon they're cheap) and I have the bzk towelettes, plus catheters if needed.

When I feel a UTI hit, I use the method they use in a doctor's office for a clean catch, or a catheter if I'm at the point of not being able to go. Catch it in one of those little cups, put the lid back on, marked with the time I took tha sample, and then I refrigerate it. At the same time, I might use a test strip to see if I do have a UTI.

It's important to run a culture, but you can't culture urine once you've popped the meds for it...so getting a sample before you start meds is your best bet. I then drop the sample off at the urologist, or go in and see the NP at GPs. If a weekend, I take the sample to the walk in and see their doc and ask them to culture the urine.

My GP keeps me supplied with doses of an antibiotic that usually works for my utis...so once I have the specimen I take one, to try to start making me more comfortable. the culture is VERY important to be run on unmedicated urine.

Over the years there have been dozens of times the doc has called once the culture comes in, and I've had to change antibiotics. Once it came in as resistant to all meds they tried except an IV antibiotic, so I spent a few days in the hospital for that.

I used to just pop the antibiotic prescribed but one time I ended up with pneumonia that had evidently developed due to a UTI which the antibiotic I was taking was not effective for.

In these days of resistent UTIs...Cultures are what you have to rely on...read articles about drug resistant UTIs. They are sobering.

Well I'll get down off my soapbox now...hope you feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
              They could be growing out your culture to ensure they prescribe the correct antibiotic the first time. My docs usually give me pain relief and a few days later after the result comes back from the lab issue antibiotics. Just a thought.
              Katie
              "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
              "My MS is a Journey for One."
              Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Katie,

I picked up my prescription for Cipro today. So it SHOULD help with my UTI. I was worried about Cipro causing my thrush (yup I have that little *** again) to become worse, but read up and discovered that Cipro can be used to treat thrush. YAY I got a "2 for 1 bonus" (rolling my eyes in exasperation.)

Comment

Hi fishead, I hate to rain on your parade but I am pretty sure Cipro can cause thrush not treat it. Once again I am not a Dr. but I would look it up if I were you.
                  PEACE
                  Tortis

Comment

I took Cipro for years for UTIs. It does work. It also can cause strains with your Achille's which caused me to spend 4 months in PT to get it working right again without pain.

So Cipro is good (given to me by a urologist years ago to help with UTIs) but depending on what is causing the UTI, it may not be as affective as Sulfa or Macrobid.
                    Brenda
                    Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

tortis I thought that too, but the Dr I called about the thrush specifically ordered more Cipro. Who knows?? You know they ARE just Practicing medicine?

Comment

Hi, I think your Dr. probable thought the risk was worth the chance. I have used cipro many times and your dr. probable thought it was the best one for whatever bug you have right now. I have to catheterize some times because I do not always empty complety so I get a lot of uti's so I really do know how painful they can be. I hope it clears up quickly for you.
                        PEACE
                        Tortis

Comment

Katie, tortis et al

Thank you for your responses. I am on day 2 of Cipro (my last day) and my thrush is not subsiding NOR is my UTI . I called my GP, and am just so frustrated. I am beginning to wonder if it IS thrush. I seem to have "mouth sores". Just figured it was thrush by the WAY it hurt.

I had a doctor earlier this year (who I no longer go to b/c of OTHER issues i.e. her sending me to ER for every LITTLE thing). That doc thought I may have SLE (specifically the butterfly-rash especially when I get hot). After looking at symptoms, I suspect she MAY have been correct, but I am tired of fighting to get everything investigated by various docs.

Brushing my hands off, rolling my eyes, and rolling UP my sleeves to forge on.

Comment

Hi Again, Once again I am not a doctor but cipro is usually taken for at least 10 days in my experiences with it and 2 or 3 days is just not enough time for it to work. Make sure to ask your Dr. or even your pharmacist. I usually get 14 days, some relief in 3 or 4 days but everyone is different.

I sure do know what you mean about the many doctors as I just had shingles in my mouth and a infection in my finger nail bed (paronychia (pear-ah-NIK-ee-ah) which left me with a crater for a finger nail and I just had a endoscopy for some yet unresolved stomach problems. I know you do not want to hear this but ask them about the sores in your mouth they should be white for thrush, shingles leave red sores that hurt like heck so do a lot of other things. Hope you feel better soon.
                            PEACE
                            Tortis

Comment

Originally posted by tortis View Post
                              Hi Again, Once again I am not a doctor but cipro is usually taken for at least 10 days in my experiences with it and 2 or 3 days is just not enough time for it to work. Make sure to ask your Dr. or even your pharmacist. I usually get 14 days, some relief in 3 or 4 days but everyone is different.

I sure do know what you mean about the many doctors as I just had shingles in my mouth and a infection in my finger nail bed (paronychia (pear-ah-NIK-ee-ah) which left me with a crater for a finger nail and I just had a endoscopy for some yet unresolved stomach problems. I know you do not want to hear this but ask them about the sores in your mouth they should be white for thrush, shingles leave red sores that hurt like heck so do a lot of other things. Hope you feel better soon.
                              PEACE
                              Tortis
                              interesting, Toris. Thank you for this info.

Comment

Working...
                              X