tecfidera and constipation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tecfidera and constipation

Anyone having trouble with constipation? Nurse says that constipation must be corrected because it slows down the absorption of tecfidera causing GI side effects such as bloating and cramping. 2 weeks in and bowels have slowed down quite a bit. Normally take benefiber and drink plenty of water anyway. May have to start in with milk of magnesia soon. Would love to hear from others with similar complaint.

Oh yes! But I have that trouble anyway. Beginning of week 3 and my stomach is doing somersaults. I think it is partly due to constipation, which I have been doing my best to head off.

Taking 2 magnesium pills. 1 in morning, 1 in evening. And a half to a full dose of Miralax. Last night and today have been excruciating.

Comment

Hi HobbittHead

Yes. Week three started the constipation. Not that unusual for me either. But this is pretty bad. Also started milk of magnesia. Have to keep the system moving. Thanks for your response.

Comment

I stopped taking everything constipation related, because my stomach hurt so bad, but with the addition of the zantac I will add everything back in.

Constipation is my nemesis. LOL

Comment

I've had a little constipation off and on since starting tec, but nothing worrisome. I was thinking about citrucel or something for added fiber, but wondered if that might slow tecfidera's absorption. I see my neuro mid March and wilo ask.

Comment

football-mom

I use benefiber every day. Nurse case manager said this is fine to take. Also stool softeners are fine as well. It is important to keep things moving. Thanks for your response on the dental work. Will check with neuro on this.
            Thanks so much for your response. Great forum!

Comment

Oh my yes

This is very helpful. Didn't know it could slow Tec absorption. I will try several of the remedies suggested.
              Maggie
              Diagnosed 1992
              Copaxone 2001-2007 (ok, not great)
              Rebif 2010-2012(horrible!)
              Current Tecfidera(too soon to tell? Major relapse though).

Comment

constipation

Mjtandkitties

Citrucel and benefiber are fine to take with tecfidera. They do not effect the absorption of Tecfidera. This info was given to me by my nurse case manager. Not sure why constipation is an issue for some of us especially when the know GI side effect is diarrhea. It's all so complicated. Hope this cleared things up for you.

Comment

Working...
                X