It appears that your MSWorld session has not been initiated or has expired. To renew your session, please click here, then click 'Logout' on the right hand side and log back in again.

Go Back   MSWorld Forums > MSWorld Message Boards > MS Symptoms > Paresthesia
Register FAQ Calendar Guidelines Mark Forums Read Login

Paresthesia Numbness, pins & needles, burning, tingling & itching are some of the most common symptoms of MS

Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

Leg numbness

I have had MS for almost 4 years. My symptoms were only migraines and eye pressure. But the past month or 2 I have had this numbness in my left leg, on my calf area. It was random before and not a lot, but now it's multiple times a week. I told my neurologist, I am having an MRI later of the spine to see if there are now lesions there.

I have never had this numbness before so I am worried. What can they do for numbness? Medicine? I take Copaxone injections every day.

Any information is helpful. Thank you!!
Old 02-17-2014, 02:56 PM
Moderation Team

Unfortunately there is no medication for numbness. My legs are numb all of the time. I am glad your neurologist is looking into it. BTW, you can have numbness in the leg without having spinal lesions, they can come from the ones in your head.

There are meds for nerve pain, but it does nothing for numbness. Eventually you get used to it. Yours is most likely an exacerbation that will go away in time based on your history.

I wish you luck!
Lisa
Old 02-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Hello ttmont416,

Quote:
What can they do for numbness?
Not much Steroids are not usually prescribed for sensory symptoms.

Numbness is one of those symptoms that can come and go on it's own but for some it's a permanent symptom.

I have dealt with numbness many times but numbness has never been a permanent symptom for me.

Exacerbations will leave me numb from the waist down which also includes the girlie parts. I have also had numbness come and go in my legs/toes, hands/fingers, girlie parts, usually lasting anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

I went for my mri of the spine, it was normal. I'm not sure what I wanted it to say. I wanted a reason for the numbness. But the numbness is still happening almost every day. Just need to deal with it. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Hello ttmont416

Quote:
I wanted a reason for the numbness
Regardless of what the MRI does or doesn't show; Multiple Sclerosis is the reason for your numbness

Understanding that may help you deal with it a little better, I hope
Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

I was dx w/ RRMS almost 19 yrs ago and have had tingling and slight numbness in legs/feet almost daily for 8 yrs.

I was given Neurontin/gabapentin that did not help. Sometimes meds help, sometimes not.

I hope your sensory symptoms go away.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

One of my first sx's which was about 27yrs. ago was both my legs went numb. The numbness went away about a month or so later without any treatment. About 7 yrs ago I went numb from the waist down and had 5 days of IV steroids and PT and it took about a month before the numbness went away.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

For me, there is ongoing background buzz, but accentuated buzz when I eat certain things- milk anything, peanut butter, gluten, or too much sugar. Milk anything and sugar have the biggest impact. You could try a non-processed diet for a while and see what happens.