Quick poll for all those on Tecfidera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GeekStrength View Post

Sometimes I get the sniffles, but could be allergies.
    It is literally as if water is coming out of your nose...not thick, not like mucous, not like allergies. Allergy meds do nothing. Such a weird S/E.

My initial small dose was pretty event-free except a little flushing that went away quickly. It didn't hit the fan for me until I went full strength.
    Tawanda

Comment

I use left rebif since I was tired of needles and have been taking tecfidera for a month. Flushing bothered me but baby aspirin took care of it. I take it after breakfast and dinner so I don't forget. I love not having to inject myself

Comment

I've been on tec for 7 months now. Blood work is good. Very rare flushing and itching. I'm glad I toughed it out.

Comment

Tecfidera 1 year & now new lesion

I've been on Tecfidera a little over a year. Only had a few flushing episodes, no other side effects. However, my recent MRI shows a new lesion. Now my Dr wants to see me next week to talk about new med options. Already tried Copaxone. I'm fearful of the stronger meds. Don't know what I will do.

Comment

Tecfidera

8 weeks on Tec. Flushing and fatigue have lessened.
            [/FONT][/SIZE]Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Teresa Lynn View Post
              I've been on Tecfidera a little over a year. Only had a few flushing episodes, no other side effects. However, my recent MRI shows a new lesion. Now my Dr wants to see me next week to talk about new med options. Already tried Copaxone. I'm fearful of the stronger meds. Don't know what I will do.
              Teresa Lynn,

Sorry to hear you'll have to try another med. Just curious -- did you have only one new lesion this past year on Tec? Have you noticed worsening of any symptoms?

Hopefully your doc will put your mind at ease with the next course of treatment s/he has in mind for you.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Bree

Comment

6 weeks on Tec and it's going pretty well. Flushing on day one, then I started taking it w/ baby aspirin and that disappeared. Crazy itching for the first 5 days.
                Stopped taking aspirin recently and now flushing is rare and mild.
                I've never been much of a 'fart-er' but always have gas for about an hour after taking it, my husband thinks it's hilarious! :-) other than that as long as I take it with a hearty meal I'm good. Since I take it at 8:30/830, sometimes that means I have to eat a second dinner. Bleh. If I dont I'll wake up nautious at night. I've never been on any other DMD's, I'm newly diagnosed, so I'm really grateful I didn't have to start with shots.
                It's nice hearing everyone's experiences.

Comment

Thanks for having this thread, I am looking into switching from rebif to tecfidera, due to a couple of reasons. Primary one is $$, my insurance is going to increase my copay considerably 1/1/15. 2nd one is to not have to do the shots, even though for me that isn't too bad.

Comment

I've been on for one month.
                    Had flushing and stomach ache first two weeks but am back to normal now. No more side effects.
                    Good to collect this in one place.

Comment

1 year in August. I had a really rough start - general but bad gastro problems. Got through it and was left with only the flushing. It would happen randomly. Usually coinciding with over heating. Before it actually gets to the flushing/hives point my skin will start to itch/burn. By my eyes - where the eyelashes grow from - really makes me crazy!!

I conquered the gastro problems by taking the Tec with food. Usually about 1/2 way through my meal. Well the past 2 days I have found that I'm not eating as much. IT'S BACK!!!
                      Round 2!!!!
                      But it still isn't enough to make me quit taking it. I've come too far!!! I just think I'll have dessert!

Comment

my nose also

On Tek for 7 months going great no stomach problems ,but around noon my nose just starts to pour out water , just flowing , goes away in a few minutes. flushing is only noticable when I wash it down with a cup of coffee!

Comment

great thread

Thank you to everyone who has posted. This has been extremely helpful.

I have been on Tecfidera five days. No flushing. Nausea, diarrhea, and now severe fatigue. Would love to know if the fatigue lessens and if so, at what point. Trying to manage family and work... praying this med. Works for me.

Comment

tecfidera

My nose runs a lot also. No stomach issues at all but I do have some skin side effects. Small raised bumps mostly on legs. Not a big deal though. Just a nuisance. Overall it's pretty tolerable. Going on 4 months at this point.

Comment

5 days

I had been on Rebif for 6+ years with no new lesions, until my MRI this summer showed a new one near C1, the first I've had outside my brain.

I started Tec 5 days ago. An hour after the first dose, my face and head felt like a hot iron was on me. I could almost smell the burn, it was so bad. I'm quite fair skinned, and the accompanying rash was a very ripe tomato shade reaching from my forehead to just above my breasts and included my arms. The itch was only slight. The episode lasted only 1.5 hours.

The "flushing" (that was no flush, that was fire!) has continued with each dose but has not been as bad as the original.

I have had no GI problems, but that may be because I am already on a regimen of Prilosec.

Thanks to all who suggested the aspirin prior to dosing. I will try it! I have a hard time eating ANYTHING early in the morning, so not having enough food there for the morning dose may be the problem. Thanks for the idea of applesauce.

Like one other poster, I've had numbness, a patch above my left knee. It has come and gone multiple times since starting the med.

I look forward to hearing other possible effects and work-arounds.

Great thread!

Comment

hi everyone i have been on tecfidera for almost a year and still get the flushing, burning feeling and my hair falls out in globs in the shower. i dont know if the hair falling out thing is related to the tecfidera though.
                                I keep telling my neuro about this and he says to keep taking aspirin and i dont feel thats safe because of the bleeding risk?

Comment

Working...
                                X