Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tec SUCKS

Hello everyone first time poster here.
    I was diagnosed two years ago.. by accident. An injury to my neck while working out and I pressed on toward an m.r.I. immediately got a call from the spine doc who told me that I had to contact neuro. Mild lesion burden etc...
    Thinking back I can vividly recall lehrmittes sign about 12 years ago. Thought it was from my backpacking trips.
    Denial for six months, then avonex. Mild flu like symptoms on shot day. Then I got overly excited for tec.
    Take the starter pack... little bit of flushing. Ramp up to the 240mg flushing again now I am about a week in and BAM! GI disorders weird skin feeling and just a general feeling like crap. Second day into this and no fun at all.
    Being that I have never been noticeably affected by m.s. I feel like I have a zero tolerance policy for sides. Still as my neuro loves to tell me even though I can't feel it damage happens silently. Please tell me some of you guys had the g.I. and it waned away. It feels like I am taking poison.

Originally posted by bacon View Post
    I feel like I have a zero tolerance policy for sides.
    Over time, many people have experienced a reduction in Tecfidera side effects. I've been on Tecfidera since the medication was released and I still have side effects, at times, significant. For most people, Tecfidera side effects are tolerable especially after your body adjusts and tweaking the medication process.Provided the medication side effects are tolerable, my biggest concern is trying to stop MS progression. Of all MS medications, I still believe Tecfidera provides the most long-term benefits and that is why I take it.

It would be amazing if drugs didn't have side effects, but that isn't a realistic expectation for many medications. You even state that you experience side effects on Avonex. It's completely NORMAL to have side effects to medications, but ultimately it's your body and your decision. I really hope you find the pharma-panacea you are looking for.

Comment

I had the GI side effects after 1 week on the 240mg. I read the threads on here and started on 150 mg Zantac 30 min before each Tec dose. I also took (still do) an 81 mg aspirin before my morning dose - this helps with flushing/itching. I made sure I ate a good sized meal with both doses. I take my Tec at 6:30 am with breakfast and 6 pm or so with dinner. If you eat something with fat in it it helps also.

My stomach pain/burning went away after a day or 2 with Zantac. I stayed on Zantac for about 2 months until I was able to quit taking it without any stomach issues. Now I just take it with my normal meals and absolutely no GI issues at all.

I'm on month 5 now. The only side effect I have is occasional thirst/dry mouth. Maybe once a week and really doesn't affect my day at all. That also seems to be going away.

I had some bad fatigue for a week or so around week 6-8. Then all of a sudden it was gone. I actually feel good on Tec. I only had minimal lasting issues before. A little foot numbness and weakness. Not noticeable to anyone else and not affecting my life really. After 3 months on Tec that is now gone. I pretty much feel back to my old self, other than tiring out easier than I used to. My husband says its just getting older I'm almost 40! Lol.

Hang in there! I hope the side effects go away for you as well!
      Optic neuritis 1999.
      RRMS diagnosed 2007.
      Copaxone 2007 - 2013.
      Tecfidera June 2013 - present.

Comment

I could have cared less about the flushing which was significant.. as an Irish boating fanatic I regularly get very sunburned.
        The g.I. issues and violent diarrhea are the things keeping me out of work.and on the couch for three days straight.
        Disappointed. I hoped I'd fall into that % that has no sides. As a newcomer with string science background I grow ever suspicious of these biopharm companies and their studies. Seems like they downplay the sides.

Comment

Sorry you are having GI probs.

TEC has been great for me, so I hope you can find the mixture of food (bland) and side effects meds (tums, pepto, etc) that work for you.

If not, I hope you find the right DMD for you

Comment

Hello bacon and welcome to the board. I am so sorry you are having such bad side affects and I hope you can use some the the suggestions from the board to help you feel better and tec will work for you.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
            X