Excruciating Leg Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excruciating Leg Pain

This is long so bare with me. About 6 months ago I starting having horrible burning/tingling in my lower legs and pain in my knees and ankles. Around this time I also started experiencing overwhelming fatigue. I had many days where I hurt so bad i couldnt get out of bed. I sought out medical attention soon after it started.

My primary physician first referred me to an orthopedic surgeon, who prescribed pain meds and gave me anti inflammatories. After those were not successful my doctor then started running blood tests, she ran almost every test imaginable, they all came back normal. She finally referred me to a neuro.

Now for the course of several months I was given Pain medicine because that was the only thing that helped. I had to wait about 6 weeks to see the neurologist, upon seeing her we decided that I most likely had fibromyalgia but she ordered a brain MRI just in case. She wrote me a prescription for cymbalta and more pain meds. I went and had my MRI and a week later received the call " I have MS". I was then referred out to a neuro that specializes in MS, he prescribed Vimpat for the nerve Pain.

I was given a starter pack because it has to be titrated up. I took 50mg 2xdaily for a week, then 100 mg 2x daily. When I started the 100mg they made me extremely sleepy. I continued to take them anyway hoping the sleepiness would stop, it didn't. I called yesterday and explained this to the nurse and also asked for a refill on the pain meds. She told me he does not normally prescribe Narcotics but she would ask. They called back today and said they would refill my pain med just this one time and gave me a prescription for the Vimpat despite the fact that I told them it made me sleepy.

Right now my biggest concern is getting something I can tolerate to help with the pain. Has anyone had any experience with Vimpat? And also since I have been taking pain killers daily for several months now my body has become physically dependent on them, even though I have taken them as prescribed. So what am I going to do when they won't be prescribed anymore? I don't know how to address this without coming off as an addict. But they are the only things that have gotten me through the last several months and they truly help my pain.

I'm 23, in nursing school and have a 16 month old. Can someone give me advice on how to explain to my doctor that my main priority is to get on nerve medication that helps but I can't just stop the other cold turkey
    Dx RR August 2013
    DMD Betaseron
    Nursing Student (RN)
    Mother to 1 year old

I wish I had some helpful info or experience to share with you. But I want to let you know that I will be praying for your pain to lessen. Is there another nerve pain med that they can prescribe?

Comment

First of all, I am so sorry for all you are going through. AND on top of that you are a student AND a mother of a toddler..yikes!! God bless you for all you are doing!

I try never to get on opiate pain meds due to the accidental tolerance..the addiction and withdrawal can be worse. SO.. I take NSAIDs and/or anti seizure meds used for pain relief. LIke Neurontin (Gabapentin) and NSAID Diclofenac with Baclofen for spasticity.

Diclofenac in combo with Baclofen seems to be a good combo. And its 12 hour release, prescribed to be taken 2 a day over a 24 hour period. It helps pain/inflammation.

The other thing I do is gentle detoxes of liver/kidney and I always get more energy, a clearer head (cog fog) and less aches and pains as the inflammation (which is the culprit) decreases.

Good luck hon, I wish you relief and soon. Yes, if you can, get off those opiates..carefully.

Gentle hugs~ Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

It seems they are addimit on the Vimpat for nerve pain despite the fact it makes me extremely drowsy. It is a seizure med that is used off label for a variety of things and I believe it is fairly new. Maybe they know it works really well so that's why they want me to take it. I'm honestly sick of having to rely on pain meds everyday but I've tried not taking them before I go to school and after about 4 hours I am hurting so bad I can't think or even sit still and if I go one day with out them I will start to feel bad, I don't have those crazy withdrawals like you see people who abuse them do but it's enough to interfere with my ability to get things done.

I really want to wean myself off with this last prescription I have but until I get the pain under control with the other med I won't be able to. I just feel stuck, for months when they had no idea what was wrong with me, all they could do was give me pain medicine, and I had to take it in order to be able to go to school and take care of my son. I returned to school when he was 3 months old, determined to get myself into nursing school. I did it but now feel hopeless many days because of this and feel like it is going to interfere with my success.
        Dx RR August 2013
        DMD Betaseron
        Nursing Student (RN)
        Mother to 1 year old

Comment

I had some really bad leg pain earlier this year. It turned out to be related to back issues and working with a physical therapist I was able to resolve this. It took a few weeks (3-4) for the pain to subside, but I've been pain free since. You may want to consider using a physical therapist. It can't hurt.

Comment

Again, I am sorry for what you are going through. Agitation, inability to sit still or sleep are signs of opiate withdrawal. I used to work in drug/alcohol field.

But you do whatever it is YOU have to do. And yes you need to take your time getting off of opiates. I do not know about VIMPAT, although I used to know most of the anti-seizure meds as my husband had seizures.

But when I was on Gabapentin (Neurontin) all day for what they thought were seizures, it took awhile to get used to it. I was drowsy and off balance for awhile, then I DID get used to it and all those side effects went away. I mean I could take a nap at a moments notice LOL..but I was able to work.

Maybe it will take awhile, but if you are also on opiates, it may be a whooper of meds to have in your system and function. Again, I can relate and feel for you.

You CAN get an extension on your school work, or incompletes until you can function better. You'd have to go to the school and get a medical excuse I believe. I had to do it one time. They then cannot kick you out of school. Not sure, but you may need a doctor's excuse. I didn't need one.

Let us know how you are doing and remember, WE are walking this journey with you.

Hugs, Jan
            I believe in miracles~!
            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Thank you Jan for your kind words and encouragement. Unfortunately, I can not do incompletes or any kind of extensions with my classes. I am in a nursing program where the classes I am in right now will not be offered again until next fall, so I would have to completely withdraw from the program and reapply for next year, but if I did this I would lose the pell grant I have ( this is due to having already withdrawn from too many classes in the past due to my lack of motivation before I became a mother). So for now I'm just going to stick with it, I am going to try to get in with my neuro and try to explain to him my issue. I am taking three 10mg lortab a 3x daily, I am not prescribed them every 4-6 hours as most are so I'm hoping maybe each week I could cut back half a pill, or maybe even a whole one if I could tolerate it. Again, Thank you for caring.
              Dx RR August 2013
              DMD Betaseron
              Nursing Student (RN)
              Mother to 1 year old

Comment

Working...
              X