From Tysabri to BG-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Tysabri to BG-12

Hello...I switched 4 months ago from Tysabri to BG-12....and now I'm having a pretty bad relapse.

Is anyone else experiencing relapses with BG-12? This is actually my second one...a month ago i had some face numbness..got one dose of steroids and it subsided.

Now, I feel like i've been walking on pins and needles for a week and have numbness in other parts. I just finished a 3-day dose of steroids.

I had to change because I am JC+....but wondering if anyone else is also experiencing and is this normal???

Thanks so much!
    Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

I’m so sorry that you are having problems right now. I have no experience relative to what you are going through but I do know one person who switched from Ty to Tec and back to Ty because of similar problems.

May I ask how well you tolerated Tecfidera before the relapse? Also, how long was the wash-out period coming off Tysabri before starting Tecfidera? Just being inquisitive, if you don’t mind.

I’m praying for you right now that your symptoms will decrease, your strength and well-being will increase, that knowledge of the next best step for you will become clear, and a sense of peace will be with you and in you. Hang in there. You will get better. Weeping endures for the night, joy comes in the morning. You know that morning will come.

Possibly, you may be experiencing IRIS, immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome. It is not unusual coming off Tysabri. You can Google it or read some at this site, also. IRIS is usually treated with steroids. But I’m only guessing, your doctor would know much more about the situation. Just want you to know people are pulling for you.

Comment

I went from Ty to Tec, but there was over a year between the two and I just started the pills last week so not too similar to your situation.

FWIW, I think the important things to remember are:

1) There is no cure, MS continues while we hope it is slow. My point here is that there will be relapses no matter what, but see #3 for more on this.

2) This switch is from the most effective DMD, arguable but generally accepted, to a seemingly less effective DMD, although seemingly more effective than others.

3) Everyone's physiology is different and MS is such a variable, you may have had those relapses no matter what. IMHO the timing and changes here are highly suspect, though.

Long story short, to answer your question, to me it seems normal given the situation, but most importantly, what does your neuro think?

Misery loves company so I decided to hang out since no other Ty to Tec posted, even though you probably have already left the party after this one post since joining in 2007, was that soon after dx?

I'm going back to lurking now, this post took me about an hour to make, lol! I will keep making the effort if you have any questions for me though. (I get a gold star for that)
      -d d
      current meds: naproxen, adderall, meclizine, lidoderm, baclofen, diazepam, hydrocodone/apap, evista, androderm, vitamin D, and Tecfidera

I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray.

Comment

Hello jyd,

I am sorry to hear you are in a relapse and I hope you are feeling better.

I also came off of Ty to start Tec. I had a 2 month wash out from TY and I have been on Tec for 11 wks. I have not had a relapse. and I have tolerated Tec. very well.

Please let us know how you are doing.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
        X