Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tecfidera - Weakness, Night Sweats

Hi all,

I have been on Tecfidera for 3 1/2 months. I have increased weakness, fatigue, and drenching night sweats.

I'm 46, so I thought the night sweats were do to my age. I still get periods and take birth control. The gyne thinks that the night sweats are NOT related to menopause since I take BC pills which regulate hormones.

I did great in the beginning with Tecfidera. No gastro issues. This past month I have used a cane or walker frequently. I haven't needed those daily since 2007 when I was DX. I have an intolerance to interferons. Rebif made me worse! I've been on Ampyra for a few years which works wonders for me. It's barely effective now. I was not on any DMDs after Rebif.

I've stopped taking Tec a few days ago. I don't feel as fatigued, not back to my pre-Tec self, however I do notice a difference. I hope this didn't kill all my WBC. I'm getting blood work done soon.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Hi ithinkidream! Welcome to MSWorld.

I'm sorry you appear to be having problems with Tecfidera. It's never fun taking a drug to help and find out the side effects make the medication intolerable.

Have you discussed your increased symptoms with MSActiveSource (800-456-2255) or your neurologist? They might suggest you premedicate with aspirin 30 minutes before taking Tecfidera. They might also suggest you have food, preferably a little fat, along with your Tecfidera.

I know I tend to blame MS for too many things. Is it possible the increased fatigue is caused by a lower quality of sleep? I know when I don't sleep well my fatigue level skyrockets. I also feel much worse when stressed or overheated.

Did all these problems happen on the same bottle of Tecfidera? Call me crazy, but it seems like my body responded slightly different to bottle #3 of Tecfidera (now on bottle #5).

Comment

Symptoms

I also have become worse on Tecfidera. Walking and balance has declined since I started to take the medicine July 1st. I have terrible sweats day and night, which I have never had and still get stomach problems. I have no doubt that Tecfidera is responsible for my decrease in walking and balance. I was on Retuxin infusions and was doing well, but my doctor wanted me to try Tecfidera, as Retuxin is in short supply and not officially approved for MS. I am going to try and stay on Tecfidera for a few more months to see if my condition improves, but I wish I had never started the medicine. Plus, it is hard to get the pharmacy to send Tecfidera since I think they are having trouble producing the drug. Please don't let people tell you that you are blaming MS for your symptoms and it might not be, I think you re the best judge of your body.

Comment

Do you think Tecfidera is causing general overheating? I had almost no side effects when I started taking it a couple of months ago.

Now I have periods of just getting hot. Not flushing, more like a hot flash. And of course, when I get hot I get weak and have problems walking. I just want to lay my head down on something cool and take a nap.

The fact that I live in the south and it's almost 90 degrees does not help.

Maybe I need to go back to taking a low-dose aspirin before each dose.

Comment

Feeling better

Hi everyone.

I had an appt. with my PCP and DX with an UTI.
          I've been on antibiotic since Friday, so that has helped.

I stopped taking Tec over a week ago. I have not had a night sweat in two days. I'm started to feel better. I hope this is not my new baseline.

kmallory1 - I think your theory may be true. The symptoms I was having were very similar to when I'm overheated. The night sweats were something new. My PCP and GYNE do not think it's peri-menopause since BC pills regulate hormones.

Comment

I am glad you found some relief. Also glad they found something that can actually be treated and resolved.

Betaseron destroyed my walking and I bounced back after stopping it. I hope you will find a medication that you can tolerate and serves you well.

Comment

Yes - I think I am probably driving my family CRAZY!! I was the one that was always cold....Now - complete turn around. I need lots of air flow! Cool air flow! I pull blankets on and push blankets off at night more often than I can say! I was hoping it wasn't "the change"!

Comment

Working...
              X