Water weight gain and lumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water weight gain and lumps

Is it possible to gain weight or retain water from the injections ? I'm only on for a week but I feel like I'm retaining water and my clothes are tight. Maybe I'm gaining weight and it's just a coincidence ?
    The legs and arms hurt too much. Is it ok to just do the hips And the belly ? Any suggestions on how to help with the lumps that seem to last for a week?
    What are some other side effects that they don't really tell you about? Can Joint pain be one?

You should probably talk to your doctor, Shared Solutions and your nurse about all these issues.

Comment

I would also suggest you call Shared Solutions. Also, you can always ask to be retrained on how to do your injections.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about your symptoms/side effects. I echo what others said and call your doctor right away.

As for the lumps, I got hard little lumps when I started and they would last a while. I called the shared solutions nurse who suggested I don't use ice. She also suggested I apply a little pressure with a cotton ball after injecting. Finally she suggested I gently massage the lumps. Should your doctor recommend you stay on Copaxone try it, it worked great.

Comment

Those lumps sometimes appear if your not injecting deep enough and the meds are kind of at the "top" of the skin. Some areas you need to go deeper and some areas not very deep at all. Are you adjusting the needle? I like doing my upper arms in the summer where I feel like I can "sculpt" my arms like using botox to make me look like I got a nice muscle going on. Wink~ Sometimes you have to make lemonade out of the lemons! I've been on it for 5 months and so far no other real problems except that I'm afraid its causing my weight gain... no one else seems to have that problem though, so it might be the steroids I'm taking instead.

Comment

Funny, I just commented on another post asking if there may be a connection with Copax and weight gain!

Regarding the lumps, here's the method that works best for me (been on Copax for 6 years).

- I sterilize with antibacterial baby bum wipes vs alcahol swabs, cuts down on the overall sting.

- I pinch (big pinch) the area and inject into it, I don't have a lot of fat and this ensures I don't inject into muscle.

- As soon as the shot comes out, push down firmly (dont rub, just push) on that bump for about 30 seconds... I know it sounds like the last thing you want to do but it gets rid of the bump, even after 6 years I have no permanent lumps under the skin.

- Ice for a minute or so.

- Apply Benadryl cream (or your favourite anti itch cream). Ointment is better but it does a number on my clothes.

I don't know of any other side effects, maybe other Members can help. My neuro sent me for a bone density test prior to starting C as it can cause brittle bones if you're proned. I had to have another last year as I fractured my tailbone in 2 places, 7 months apart (I know, that takes real talent). Bone density was fine, not affected by Copax, just 2 unlucky falls.

I hope you have some success with this med, it's been really good to me. Please keep us posted.
            Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I believe Copaxone contains a diuretic in the preservative which would serve to dry you out rather than cause weight gain. Also one of the common side effects listed is joint pain. I would be curious to try a "shot vacation" myself to see if that is true with me since I have joint pain (mostly knees and elbows.)

As far as the lumps go, it is recommended to try massaging them but only after 24-36 hours. I get them too.

Comment

Working...
              X