Tecfidera and IBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tecfidera and IBS

I've been suffering with IBS-C for a while (previously it was IBS-D but cutting out gluten switched it over), and started Tec recently. It was fine the first week, but the GI symptoms have become overwhelming...gas, cramping, burning, some diarrhea. I'm following many of the suggestions posted here about what to eat with the pill, timing of it, etc and I believe it helps some but I'm still having a very rough time. I think IBS is compounding the side effects of Tec. I've stopped it temporarily but hope to start it again soon.

Does anyone else taking Tec have IBS as well? If so, are you tolerating it well? Any advice would be great. Thank you!

Hello, I have IBS-C as well and was wondering if this drug might also double as a miralax substitute but.. nope. The first three weeks were fine and then out of nowhere I was hit with unbelievable cramping in the middle of the night. I can usually handle pain - albeit with the requisite whining - but this was unbelievable and I stopped the tec for 4 days. Then I researched this forum and started taking the aspirin, antacid, and high protein meal and I had the slightest cramping at first which then went away thankfully. A few days later I stopped the premedicating and soon after the eating beforehand and have had no pain since. So I'm tempted to say that it was the break that solved it in my case.

I hope this break helps you as well. I've had a few surprises with this drug but as I near the end of my second month, I must say all the side effects are gone. Never had the flushing.. still get a runny nose once in a while which is weird and annoying. Still take miralax. Bleah.

Good luck and I hope you stick it out bc whatever you do in the meanwhile to stick it out, it seems that time eventually takes care of the side effects.

Take care!

Comment

I went to a GI dr. because my IBS-C was so much worse. I usually could handle it with diet and exercise and stress management, but not on Tec. They prescribed a medication and I restarted Tec and I am doing great. So so much better!

Comment

Thanks to both of you - this information helps a lot and gives me hope. Whiskers - which medication did your doctor prescribe? I currently use OTC medication (Miralax, Colace), but they aren't very effective these days. Thanks!

Comment

Linzess I think.....my bottle is not with me.

Comment

Working...
          X