Neck x-ray? Huh???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neck x-ray? Huh???

Had a follow-up with my PCP today (they'd squeezed me in last week and didn't do much besides bloodwork). So I'm confused. We reviewed the numbers and I got my own copy, and she's right, my numbers are all good to very good. She admitted she isn't sure what's going on, and I can't blame her. I'm a weirdo and my symptoms change daily.

Her office is scheduling an MRI. I did confirm it will be with and without contrast, brain and c-spine. They'll call me next week with that appointment.

Then she ordered a c-spine x-ray and told me to go get it done TODAY. Say what?? I asked why and she said I have a lot of upper body symptoms (I do have a few, but just as many lower body ones) that concern her. I have had neck and shoulder tension that often increases to pain for many, many years. I have tingling in my right hand and forearm, and that's new. I have excruciating, debilitating, horrifying pains that shoot up the back of my head on one side, which she agrees sounds like occipital neuralgia. So okay, if the lady wants an x-ray, I'll give her an x-ray.

So I go to the hospital, pay my $143 (boy, they get ya right at registration these days, don't they?), and go to radiology. The technician asked what brought about the order, so I told her briefly. She says the x-rays won't show a pinched nerve, so she wonders what else my doctor might be looking for.

What the heck? Could the technician be wrong, or could there be something else the doc is ruling out? I'm confused. Anyone had an x-ray for similar symptoms?

Oh, and since the tech very gently manipulated me into the right positions for the films, I'm in a lot of pain. Neck, shoulder, arm...pretty bad. So maybe the doctor IS onto something. Standing there against the x-ray board, she brought the shiny light camera thing (lol) within a couple feet of my face, and my eye instantly started twitching violently. Cracked us both up. So she told me to close my eyes and I nearly fell over sideways when I did. Lordy, this is for the birds.

Just want to say I feel for you. And making sure you pay is so right on. I remember being in the ER and having the lady 'help" me get my credit card to pay before I lose consciousness..geez.

I have had my neck checked by my ortho AND for MS. I had an MRI too. Seems ortho and MS doc cannot make up their minds which is which. I guess I may have symptoms resulting from BOTH, discs issues AND MS.

The MRI will be more accurate. I get copies of MRI CD and the paper report too so I can be prepared and ask pertinent questions.

Hope you get answers and less pain.. soon!! Let us know how you are doing ok? Not everything is MS...

Warmly, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Hi,
      Sounds like she's ruling things out - I like the sound of her being proactive.

I've had X-Rays, CT scans, and MRIs of brain and spine.

Do you feel like your doctor gets you and is taking you seriously? If so, then I would stick with her.

Hope that this helps or gives you some ideas.
      Take care,
      swingingwillow
      Limbo lander on hold with a fast busy signal...

Comment

Oh gosh Jan... They sure are "helpful" with taking our money! But oh well, if it helps to rule anything in OR out, it's money well spent. I guess the silver lining is that we're very close to meeting our family deductible for the year.

And it helps to hear that an x-ray might be valuable in targeting whatever is wrong. Good point that there could always be two (or twenty) things.

I do like my doctor and feel comfortable talking with her. She's new to me, just the two visits so far. I was naughty and didn't have a family doctor for years up until all this happened recently. So while it takes some time to really trust any doctor, I haven't seen any reason NOT to trust her. She seems kind, if a bit hurried, as most doctors are. So I may as well keep the faith and see where she goes from here.

Thanks to both of you for your input!

Comment

X ray tech was out of line

Originally posted by Jess43228 View Post
          Had a follow-up with my PCP today (they'd squeezed me in last week and didn't do much besides bloodwork). So I'm confused. We reviewed the numbers and I got my own copy, and she's right, my numbers are all good to very good. She admitted she isn't sure what's going on, and I can't blame her. I'm a weirdo and my symptoms change daily.

Her office is scheduling an MRI. I did confirm it will be with and without contrast, brain and c-spine. They'll call me next week with that appointment.

Then she ordered a c-spine x-ray and told me to go get it done TODAY. Say what?? I asked why and she said I have a lot of upper body symptoms (I do have a few, but just as many lower body ones) that concern her. I have had neck and shoulder tension that often increases to pain for many, many years. I have tingling in my right hand and forearm, and that's new. I have excruciating, debilitating, horrifying pains that shoot up the back of my head on one side, which she agrees sounds like occipital neuralgia. So okay, if the lady wants an x-ray, I'll give her an x-ray.

So I go to the hospital, pay my $143 (boy, they get ya right at registration these days, don't they?), and go to radiology. The technician asked what brought about the order, so I told her briefly. She says the x-rays won't show a pinched nerve, so she wonders what else my doctor might be looking for.

What the heck? Could the technician be wrong, or could there be something else the doc is ruling out? I'm confused. Anyone had an x-ray for similar symptoms?

Oh, and since the tech very gently manipulated me into the right positions for the films, I'm in a lot of pain. Neck, shoulder, arm...pretty bad. So maybe the doctor IS onto something. Standing there against the x-ray board, she brought the shiny light camera thing (lol) within a couple feet of my face, and my eye instantly started twitching violently. Cracked us both up. So she told me to close my eyes and I nearly fell over sideways when I did. Lordy, this is for the birds.
          The X ray tech had no place telling you that. Yes, an x-ray can catch really bad spine abnormalities although mri is better. Either way, the x ray tech has no place making comments like that. They also should not have to ask YOU what the procedure is for... that should be in the orders. Although I always tell them anyway. One of my PCPs ordered x rays and an mri but didn't mention why in the orders. I didn't have insurance at the time and it was an expensive way to have the radiologist tell me my neck wasn't broken. Which I knew already. And so did my doctor
          CIS DX 2013

Comment

Working...
          X