Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone on Tecfidera

Hi,
    Has anyone on Tecfidera had flu like symptoms? Like fever, chills, etc. Its not a typical side effect but I had two days that were bad after being on it for about 15 days.
    Thank you!

Flu like Symptoms

Yes! Yesterday was my day 11. I had been flushing on and off for a couple of days. However, yesterday I started having chills with the flushing and then SEVERE body aches from head to toe set in. Advil did nothing for it. I slept okay with additional nighttime pain reliever, but am still having 'random' body pains this morning. Hoping this afternoon goes better. Did you have the body pains as well?
    Robin

Comment

How is your condition, now? Do you have any of the reported side effects like gastro distress or flushing ?

Comment

Flu Symptoms with Tecfidera

I had some flushing which wasn't bad once I knew what to expect. It seemed to happen like clockwork 3-5 hrs after taking the med. I had headaches that came and went...but they were bad but manageable. I had very little to any GI issues. About 15 days into the meds came the bad aches, zero energy, fever, etc. That lasted exactly two days. I don't get sick hardly ever so I called my Dr office and they said I should temporarily stop taking it. That made sense. They now are saying they only way to know if it was the med is to get back on it and see if it happens again. I am willing to do that...but I am thinking what if its something worse. How long did your flu symptoms last and did you stop the med? I also got my WBC done per the doc. Waiting to hear on that.

Comment

I am on day 2 of Tec. I feel like I did an Avonex injection. I started hurting after my second pill. Head to toe body aches. I thought I was alone as everyone else is having flushing and stomach probs.

Comment

side effects of tecfiders

I am on day 6 with tecfidera so I am still on the starter pack An hour before each pill I take 325 mg aspirin and a zantac 150 so the side effects have not started yet or the prep is helping. I am worried that it is just too soon for the side effects to start maybe I have to be on the 240 mg I always have had bad experiences with injections so I am just waiting for something to happen the stress is getting to me. When do they start?

Comment

Hi Cher! My symptoms started day one..flushing: looked like a lobster and skin felt like it was on fire..but the first day was the worse for that. Around day 5 I started to have GI issues..neasua, bloating, burning stomach. The symptoms seem to hit me about an hour and a half after I would take my morning dose and less issues with evening dose. After I started on week two my GI issues got worse but flushing got better. I am on day 30 now. I am still having GI issues and mild flushing but symptoms now hit about 4 hours after I take it. I find staying hydrated and food on my stomach is key. And since I can pretty much predict when and what to expect its more manageable. Hopefully you are one of the lucky ones who won't have a reaction or side effects. Try not to worry ( I know that is a lot easier said then done for my middle name is "worry"..) Keep us posted. I think its great to hear from those who are not having side effects!!
              Sunshine
              RRMS 3/05 - Rebif 4/05 - Tysabri 10/07 - Copaxson 6/12 - Tecfidera 5/13

Comment

Issues w/ Tecfidera

Morning,

I started Tecfidera two weeks ago. I had the typical abdominal pains and flushing burning pains on my face. I keep a daily log. On the 11 day, I started with a low grade fever with the continued abdominal pains. By day 12, I had a 102.6 degree fever with extreme abdominal pains. My face felt like it was on fire. I tool Tylenol, and Aleve for the pain. The 13th and 14th days continued with fever, abdominal pains the "night sweats". On the 15th day, my wife took me to the ER (per my docs) and was quickly admitted. I was severely distended and the abdominal pains worsened. (Severely impacted but no surgery was required Thank God). My internist, who is awesome, saw me along with several "gastro" docs. No one could figure out why I was having a fever after the due diligence of testing me for any infection under the sun. Day 15 was the last day I took tecfidera per doctor’s orders. I was discharged 4 days later after my fever “broke”, started a liquid diet and was able to have a BM. That was the other issue; I couldn’t “go” for 3 days. I FINALLY got hold of my neurologist and he also told me to stop tecfidera and call him this Friday. He was quick to point out that these symptoms I had were not normal symptoms for this medication. The doctors at my hospital said, “We could not find a source for the fever, and based on all our testing, it appears the drug caused these issues. However, the only way to be sure is to start the med again and see if you start having the same issues”. At this point, I am not sure if I want to take the “trial by fire” path. I was on Copaxone for over 3 years with no issues. Tecfidera is a promising new drug but I just don’t think I can tolerate it well... Be well!!
                Demetrios

Comment

flu-like symptoms

I just started taking tecfidera on Sunday. I have rrms since 2006 and been on numerous dmd's that I could not tolerate. Anyway, my neuro suggested that I titrate with tecfidera starting with 1 pill 120mg 1/day for 2 weeks then up to 240mg 1/day for another 2 weeks to reach to 2/day 240 mgs.

On my second pill, the next day at work I started to feel my face burning, followed by a steady nose drip which lasted for about a minute. Then all of a sudden I felt the flushing feeling to feel more feverish, severe body aches all over, overwhelming fatigue that felt exactly like when I took Avonex. I also had severe abdominal pain. I had to leave work early, went home and took my temperature, which was a low grade fever, then spiked to 101 later that day. I took aspirin and went to bed. Later that evening, I was starting to feel a little better.

I did call my neuro to report the side effects and was told by the nurse it was unusual and the doctor would call me in the morning, so I skipped my 3rd pill.

This morning, I felt 100% better. My neuro called me back and said to time the hours the side effect occurred to ensure if it happens again it would occur in the evening when I am sleeping. That sounds all good, but the flu-like symptoms lasted about 11 hours and I don't want to wake up either with these symptoms and what happens when I reach up to the 240mgs?

I also called Biogen and the FDA to report these side effects. I know it was the Tecfidera that caused this since I was feeling very good that morning and it was the same timing the side effects occurred with my first dose, which was only abdominal discomfort.

I searched this post to see if anyone else had experienced this and saw this post so I know there is some connection to perhaps a small percentage of people. What I would like to know is why this would occur since Tecfidera is not an interferon?

Comment

Working...
                  X