Oh the burning! (First day)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh the burning! (First day)

Just started Tec today. 3.5 hrs after my AM pill (with food) the burning and flushing started. I looked and felt like I had an awful itchy sunburn (which freaked out my coworkers). It really burned and I've had some bad sunburns in my life (fair skinned). It felt like pins and needles too. Hours later I am still getting random blotches of redness and itching or burning. Then the stomach cramps started about 8 hrs after said first dose. Mind you I tend to be sensitive to meds so I was expecting side effects but not this bad. Just remembered the dr said to try aspirin 1/2 hr before. Will try that tonight. Saw others used Zantac etc for stomach and will try that. Just venting (warning). I'm sticking with it though. I will give it a good 6-8 weeks I am telling myself. Oh one other note...I was on Lupron years ago which gave me a temporary menopause state so I've had those type of hotflashes and flushing. My Tec flushing and flashing is much worse...
    Carrie

I took my first dose today and boy howdy, I sure did feel the "flushing" effects that others have felt. My wife just kind of looked at me sweating in my recliner and stated that now I know how she feels sometime! I hope the side effects don't get to bad as I am heading out on vacation in the morning. I am heading to Las Vegas where it is as hot as the sun even without taking Tecfidera!

Comment

Gets better..usually!

I am on day 26 and I still have flushing but nothibg like the first few days. And some days are better than others. As I type my ears are burning..just my left, my checks, and neck and am itchy. But its mild. In the begining it was really bad! Don't be surprised if your nose begins to run!Just like a drippy faucet. Mine will run for an hour or two then just stop..its crazy but ut all has to do with vaso-dilation.

Hang in there! I can now pretty much predict what side effects will happen when, now that I have been on full strenth for a couple of weeks. Its still frustrating, especially the GI problems, but at least I know the source and can deal with it for the most part. Good luck
      Sunshine
      RRMS 3/05 - Rebif 4/05 - Tysabri 10/07 - Copaxson 6/12 - Tecfidera 5/13

Comment

I can relate. My first dose caused major flushing. It made me nervous to take again as I thought it would decrease only gradually. However, it never happened again. I have had only a little flushing from time to time - more like blotchiness.

Comment

I started Tec. at 6 AM this morning and fell back to sleep. Woke at 7:30 with my face and arms on fire. Head, arms and legs were red and burning. Started to subside around 8:30. Took a shower around 10:30....arms and legs itched so bad after for about a half hour so bad that I wanted to tear my skin off! Anyone else have severe itching after showering?

Comment

Luckily my burning red rash and itching has not happened like it did the first day. I get occasional itchy spots here and there and prickling here and there but tolerable (presuming it will still go away over time. The stomach cramps I still get too...for hours...despite eating with the pill.

Im just glad things are much better than the first day. Boy that was shocking how bad it was.
            Carrie

Comment

Glad to hear your symptoms have somewhat subsided. I tend to be sensitive to medications so my doctor kept me longer at the 120mg dose before moving up.

My wife would know when I was flushing because my ears would get bright red first. I was like Rudolph 2.0 with my bright red ears.

Today my PT lady was applying pressure to my shoulders/neck and I started flushing. She was a little freaked out and it was worth a laugh or two for me.

Comment

Hi, my name is Annette & I am also thinking about going on tecfidera. My question is does ins cover it. Is it expensive.

Comment

It depends entirely on your insurance; every policy is different, so you'll need to contact your insurer directly.

Comment

The flushing is a normal side effect as your doctor probably told you, the very first pill is the worst one as far as the flushing goes, then its no problem, i get it here and there, usally the first pill of the day, but is nothing compared to that first dose. Hang in there it gets better!

Comment

Originally posted by nettiel View Post
                      Hi, my name is Annette & I am also thinking about going on tecfidera. My question is does ins cover it. Is it expensive.
                      Annette,

You'll have to check with your insurance company / specialty pharmacy.

If I remember correctly, if you are not on Medicare or Medicaid, you should qualify for Biogen's $10/mo program.

My copay was going to be $150/mo through my specialty pharmacy but I am paying $10 through Biogen's program.

Now, I've only received my starter pack. I'll see if it's smooth sailing with insurance company, etc. when I get my future refills.

Are you currently on a DMD? If you do go on BG-12, please keep up posted on how it's working for you.

Bree

Comment

Working...
                      X