when did GI side effects start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when did GI side effects start?

For people who are experiencing side effects (GI specifically), did you experience them after the increase in dosage? I am on day 3 and feeling pretty good. While I am thankful, I want to have a better understanding of when other's side effects kicked in.

Welcome to Tec. My first week was tolerable for the most part, a few pains here than there with some slight bowel issues. I just started my third week and I'm having a lot of issues with severe abdominal cramping and vomiting along with diarrhea.
    Keep in mind please that I have a lot of allergies to most meds and medical issues besides MS so don't let my symptoms scare you. I'm what my doctors call 2%. If there is 2% chance of something going wrong it will with me. I'm going to try to suck it up for another week before making a decision.
    I've read a lot of post on here that have more positive results than one like mine so I'm hanging in there. You do the same. You'll be fine. Keep me posted once you are on your full dose.

Comment

Hi, I am on day 17 and have very minor GI issues. Some gurgling and I noticed my stool was softer about 2 days after starting the 240 dose. My experience with Tec has been fairly uneventful.....knock on wood! Best of luck!
      dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

Hi

I started to notice the GI symptoms about 10 days after I started the full dosage.

I Notice it is better if I eat, so I am eating a lot of small meals and it does help.

I just hope I don't gain a lot of weight..........
        And even though the moment passed me by I still can't turn away
        'Cause all the dreams you never thought you'd lose
        Got tossed along the way

Comment

Hey Whiskers,

I've just started my second week on Tecfidera after having been on Copaxone for two years and Rebif for about 7 years.

I started on the 240mg yesterday and I really haven't had many problems with this drug at all - so far, so good!

I haven't had any GI problems that I've noticed, but I think because I'm on Prilosec for GERD/acid reflux and have been for years, that maybe that is keeping all of that in check. The only thing I've noticed, which might mean the Tec is affecting my GI system is sore throats, way in the back of my throat, not like a normal one with a cold, and I think that might be from heartburn that I can't feel b/c of the Prilosec. I'm interested to see if anyone else has been on Prilosec or Nexium for GERD/acid reflux and what their GI stories might be. I'm going to take Gaviscon before I go to bed as that's one of the best of the non Proton Pump Inhibitor drugs for acid reflux and see how that goes. Hopefully, once my system gets used to Tec that will disappear, but it's not been a problem for me so far.

Good luck!
          Sunbeam/Sunbeam91500
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Solve the MyStery" - Cure Multiple Sclerosis
          Out with the needles, in with the pills!!

Comment

Thanks all! I am now on day on day 5 and all is well. I am taking a Pepcid AC with my first dose in the morning. It either helps OR does not really hurt to have "just in case". My neuro recommended it.

Comment

Hi! I am on day 15. I had GI problems kick in about day 5, very nauseous and stomach burning which got better after a couple of days. Then on day 13 (Sunday) it kicked up again. I am much better today, praise God!! I take Prilosec in the am and have Reglan and mylanta for break throgh stomach pain. I find if I keep food on my stomach ( I ate a lot of crackers for a while there) and stay hydrated I feel better. I will say I have put on a few pounds this past week, but that may be due to decrease motility and eating ice cream with my 9pm dose

Good luck!
              Sunshine
              RRMS 3/05 - Rebif 4/05 - Tysabri 10/07 - Copaxson 6/12 - Tecfidera 5/13

Comment

I take pantoprazole for acid reflux and have just started on the Tecfidera-no stomach issues so far. Since I get bound up (like a lot of MS people) I thought the stool softening might be a good thing but that hasn't happened either. First full dose tomorrow.

Comment

About four days after going from 120 to 240 I got horrible stomach pains and the next day I had massive diarrhea. I ended up stopping the meds but not the diarrhea for another five days. My neuro said he'll put me back on Tec in July at my normal appt but we will start and stay on 120 for longer than one week and move up slowly. I was horrible as I had no energy along with the other. I actually had to miss a day of school and work. I'm a little leary thinking about going back on it but we shall see. HTH

Blessings, Kristin

Comment

I am the person who had nausea from Copaxone. If a med can impact my digestion, bowels, or give nausea, it does to me, every time.

Until now. I'm on about day 23 of Tecfidera, so more than 2 weeks on the full dose, and other than burning in the stomach that is completely treatable with Zantac, I'm fine. No diarrhea, no vomiting, no nausea. I'm startled by this turn of events, but happy, too. When I forget the Zantac (just a half pill of generic does the trick), it's awful, so I know it's doing its job.

Hopefully you're the same way.

Comment

my thoughts

I have 8 pills (full strength) left. I am not doing good. My stomach is hurting. I wake up every night in a lot of pain , and burning.

I also have diarrhea, which is very unusual for me. Anyhow, I decided before switching from Copaxone to Tecfidera that if this didn't work for me I wasn't going back.

After 7 years of daily injections I am done. I can't do it anymore. I'm not sure what I will do anymore if anything.
                      I'm at the point where I kind of don't care, know what I mean? Just feeling tired I guess.
                      And even though the moment passed me by I still can't turn away
                      'Cause all the dreams you never thought you'd lose
                      Got tossed along the way

Comment

Tecfidera GI Issues

I finished the first week of the half dose and now I am on week two of the full dose. I have an iron gut (normally) and no allergies to anything. I have been experiencing painful gas in the center of my stomach almost daily. I find that walking them out helps. I just picked up a probiotic that I just started taking. Hopefully it helps. The flushing comes and goes - I guess it depends on the day. My husband brags to his friends that he has the only wife around who isn't monochromatic.

So other than the gas pains and occasional flushing, I'm fine. My bowels are normal, in case anyone cares. hehe

Comment

After the 5th day I had extreme diarrhea that didn't go away for a week after I stopped taking tec. After I reset to baseline, I started back for the past 2 weeks taking 1 240 a day and did fine. 2 days ago, I took a 2nd 240 and within half a day I had stomach cramping and diarrhea again. My Neuro is going to try to get me a shipment of 120's to try a 120 in the morn and a 240 at night since I did well with just the 240 at night.

Comment

Third week is when I began having severe nausea. Nausea and malaise. I have just wanted to sleep all of the time. eat small meals throughout the day to try to ease the nausea. I must be gaining weight. Last day of week 3 today. Hope this gets better.

Comment

@BrianH

Are you on any special diet?
                              Have you had your fat% taken along with Calorie intake?
                              Are you considered under/over weight?
                              I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Bill Hicks

Comment

Working...
                              X