Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm so excited, did my first injection today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so excited, did my first injection today!

The nurse at the hospital trained me with the auto injector and I gave myself a shot in the arm. It wasn't bad at all! I didn't feel the needle at all and there was only a slight bruised feeling that lasted maybe half an hour.

No big deal at all!

Woo hoo I'm an MS warrior now, doing battle against MS with Copaxone as my weapon!

I went out to eat to celebrate afterwards!

Very good job! And love the "ms warrior" analogy. Good for you

J
    Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Thank you so much! Are you from Montana too?

I was wondering because your location description sounds like how I'd define NW Montana!

Too many of us from the Pacific Northwest region have MS or other autoimmune disorders.

Comment

Congratulations on your first injection!
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Thank you so much Jules! I just did my first tummy shot...

Worried I might not have done right because it didn't hurt like the arms did...?

Comment

Originally posted by MSLorrie View Post
            Worried I might not have done right because it didn't hurt like the arms did...?
            That's perfectly normal. No one has the same thickness of skin and amount of subcutaneous fat all over their body.

After more than a year, the sting from my injection still varies quire a bit, even when injecting at the same depth in the same place.
            1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
            NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Thank you so much, I was kind of worried!

I thought it would feel the same each time.

Comment

Hooray! It seems so weird congratulating someone on giving themself a shot, but congrats on giving yourself a shot!
                Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Thank you!

I never dreamed I would ever be giving myself daily injections....

Comment

Why didn't your neurologist start you on Tecfidera? I did Copaxone for about 3 months, which is nothing compared to some, and believe me, it gets old. The bumps under the skin you have to kneed out, the welts, the fear of the immediate post reaction, the mapping out your of injection site daily so you were 2 inches away from the last, the pain, the inconvienence, and having to plan that every day. Tecfidera is much more effective based on studies done against Copaxone and it's a pill form taken twice a day. Small risks and more effective vs little risk and less effective...I choose the Tecfidera. In the past, people didn't have a choice and stuck with Copaxone, as the pills out before Tecfidera were considered high risk as far as side effects. But most people now have switched to Tecfidera, freeing them of having to inject every day. This is just my personal opinion. Copaxone did NOTHING for me and I actually continued to decline quickly. Because it is one of the least effective..only 30%..I knew I needed to be on something stronger.

Comment

I have been on Copaxone for almost 5 years and doing well. I get my shot every morning at 8AM. It just becomes part of your day.
                      All meds. have there own set of side effects even the new pills. If you do well on Copaxone then stay with it.
                      You can always change to something else later if you have problems.
                      God bless you in your fight against MS.

Comment

I have taken Copaxone nearly six years total now and I am doing well. I am 55 years old, still working full time and going to school too! I had worse symptoms on Avonex, Rebif, and Tysabri.

Copaxone is the safest of all the meds and with the longest track record. They are coming out with a new formulation for three times a week sometime this year as well!

The arms are the hardest spot for most people. Just make sure you rotate carefully and you will be fine.
                        Take care, Wiz
                        RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Thanks everyone! I am getting huge lumps that don't go away

I have a golf ball sized lump in my left arm that has stayed the same for two weeks now. Tried massaging it and that just makes it more itchy and makes it swell up more.

Comment

Yup...I remember those bumps and lumps. I don't miss that one bit. If you plan on sticking with the Copaxone, some words of advice. Don't rub the bumps hard. I used a body massager. Ice after the injection worked to ease the pain. It still hurt, but icing made it feel better. Heating of the area made it worse for me. Rotate, rotate, rotate. Make sure to jot down in the journal each place you injected. My stomach was my favorite place. I'm not heavy by any means, but it hurts less because we carry more fat here. Tops of thighs were AWFUL. I swayed a little from the chart they give you and went to the inside of my thighs. Much more tolerable. Still sore, but no welt. Arms were hit and miss. Some good days, some bad. I give credit to those on for years. At the end of three months, I was so angry that I had to give myself that injection every day. It hurt. Maybe I'm a whimp, but it wasn't for me. Not to mention, it was weak and didn't do anything for me. Good luck

Comment

"Tecfidera is much more effective based on studies done against Copaxone"

Which studies show this?

But most people now have switched to Tecfidera" Some may have but I doubt "most" have.

"Copaxone did NOTHING for me"

How long were you on it? Keep in mind that Copaxone is not really a 'short term' medication and not intended to relieve MS symptons (although it can in some) or cure MS, it is really designed to prevent/reduce future lesions/attacks. I have read that those that stay on Copaxone 10+ years fair the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X