Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to MS and about to be put on medication. (A little scared)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MS and about to be put on medication. (A little scared)

Hi all!

I'm new here and was diagnosed with MS a year ago, but was in denial. I started off with double vision and was tested for everything imaginable.

Then I had an MRI which showed the lesions on my brain and that's when I was diagnosed.

I did not know much about MS at all to be honest. I was scared to death, depressed and in deep denial.

My Neuro wanted to put me on Copaxone right away, but I could not wrap my head around having to inject myself everyday, being that I'm not too fond of needles. (but who is?)

I ended up not going back to my next appointment and never getting on the medication. (I still wasn't ready to accept this fate.)

Almost a year later I had another relapse. This time I went almost completely blind in my left eye. Had to have 3 Solu-Medrol infusions followed by 2 weeks of Prednisone.

Not fun at all! Guess it's finally time to shake myself out of this denial. So...went back to my Neuro a couple days ago and he wasn't happy with me.

That's when he told me about Tecfidera. I was excited to hear about it being a pill! I think I can deal with this. He wants me to try it.

So I filled out all the paperwork and got the bloodwork done etc. Keeping my fingers crossed that my insurance will cover it.

Now I just wait. I am nervous though as I don't know how the medication will affect me. Neuro said he's already put 3 people on it.

Anyone on this new medication or about to be put on it? How is it affecting you? What are your thoughts?

I'm just now starting to accept that I have this disease. It just seems like everything is moving so fast. It is comforting though to know that others are going through the same thing.

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
    ― Helen Keller

Hi,
    You may want to check over at this forum...it's specifically about that med and there are many threads in that forum, including some observations of those who have started the med already.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125

Comment

ladybug, I moved your thread here, as this is where members come to give their experiences with certain medications and for others to read about itand gather information. Good luck to
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Welcome, Ladybug!! I like your name

I know you must be scared right now. It's a real feeling that probably all of us has felt at one time having an unpredictable disease. Just don't let that fear paralyze you - OK? You can come here to express any thoughts or emotions you need to and we're here understanding you!

I hope you can start using Tecfidera and insurance goes through quickly! Lucky you in not having to go through years of shots like so many of us. I hope it works wonders for you and others

Read up all you can and let us know how it goes for you.
        Take care
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks all! I really should read before I post so that I can post in the right section. lol

Everyone seems so nice here and I'm really glad I found this place. I think it will definitely help me through this process. Just to be able to talk with others who are going through the same thing.

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
          ― Helen Keller

Comment

tecfidera

I'm going to start this about mid month. please keep us posted and I will do the same. I've been on rebif, copaxone and for the past 6 yrs. betaseron. All these have taken a tole on my liver so I am very anxious to start the tecfidera. prayers for us all.

Comment

I wish you the best of luck! It will be worth it to

Take medicine to stave off those terrible relapses!

I just gave myself my first injection of Copaxone yesterday!

It was so easy because I used the autoinjector! You never see the needle, and you never feel the needle.

I thought for sure I'd feel the needle, because I was so nervous and really TRYING to feel it if you know what I mean!

There was a bit of achiness in the arm after the injection for like maybe half an hour but it was hardly even noticeable.

Now I'm not scared of the injections anymore!

Those needles are actually thinner than a mosquito when she sticks her nose into you to drink!

I can actually feel right when a mosquito probes me but I could not feel the needle so that tells you something!

I hope Tecfidera works for you but if you ever need to reconsider injectables, please please please just try ONCE. Because I promise you if you do it once you will see its no big deal at all!

Comment

Seriously? I was on those Copaxone injections for about 3 months. Yes, you don't feel the actual injection of the needle, but what's felt after is not much to be desired. About 20 secs into the injection, you'll experience a burning, stinging pain, almost like being stung by a wasp. You'll then experience welts and eventually lumps will form under your skin. Take the Tecfidera. I started the pill about 3 weeks ago and not one side effect. Everyone is different, but I decided not to read into scary side effects anymore, and so far, so good. Tecfidera is also MORE effective statistically. One pill in the morning, one in the evening. That's it. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X