side effects of Gabapentin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

side effects of Gabapentin?

I was reading over the information sheet that always comes with my Gabapentin. I noticed something that I hadn't seen before. It said that a reaction to be concerned about was frequent infections. I have been on Gabapentin since September and have had the worst time with sinus and upper respiratory infections since sometime in the fall.

Is it just a coincidence, I wonder, or a connection? As it is now, I am having to hold off on switching to Gilenya because it carries an increased risk of infection. Very frustrating, because I was looking forward to the better record Gilenya has (compared to Copaxone) in reduction of flares.

Has anyone ever experienced or known of someone who's experienced an increase in infections after starting on Gabapentin?

I've only been on it for a month. The neuro wanted me to take two 300mg a day but it made my legs so weak that I couldn't transfer to my power chair. So am on one pill a day. It is lovely helping stop the spasms every 20 seconds in each leg. I haven't had any infections but probably haven't been on long enough. I am house bound and live alone. I have 3 caregivers who may bring germs in but I have been lucky. Not been sick in a couple of years. Except bladder infections. Does that count? I cath so think thats where the infections come from.

Comment

Originally posted by anneth121 View Post
      I've only been on it for a month. The neuro wanted me to take two 300mg a day but it made my legs so weak that I couldn't transfer to my power chair. So am on one pill a day. It is lovely helping stop the spasms every 20 seconds in each leg. I haven't had any infections but probably haven't been on long enough. I am house bound and live alone. I have 3 caregivers who may bring germs in but I have been lucky. Not been sick in a couple of years. Except bladder infections. Does that count? I cath so think thats where the infections come from.
      Do you take it at bedtime or in the morning? I started at 100 mg and then built up to 300 mg, but I always take it at night. I'm glad it is helping you. I have found that it does help me with nerve pain when I take it regularly at bedtime. I also took a friend's advice and got a rx for 100 mg, in case I am having a hard time during the day and can go lie down.

Comment

Doc said at dinner. Seems to me that means with food and a good time of day. If I take it at breakfast or lunch I probably would be weak all day.

Comment

Gabapentin

readingteacher,

I have been on Gabapentin for over 2 years now. I started out on 100mg - 1 capsule only at night before bedtime as it can make you feel drowsy.

My MSNeuro prescribed it for a month and I went back to see him as it was not helping me with my RLS (restless leg syndrome). The RLS for me only happened at night a couple hours before bedtime.

After a month and no significant relief, my neuro increased my dosage to 200mg at night. Its called titering up slowly (sp)?

My dosage has increased for me over time in the past 2 years to 1800mg a day because my RLS has started to bother me now in the early afternoon.

I now take 300mg - 1 capsule at 1pm then 1 capsule at 6pm, then 4 more at bedtime. This dosage has helped me so far.

Each increase had helped for a while as he increased the dosage as needed. Each time I did see the neuro to discuss how it was or was not helping.

I am also on a physical therapy regiment that is helping with my legs. I do some exercises at home before bed

You need to find out what works for you and work closely with your doctor. Never take an increase dosage without your doctor knowing what you are taking. And please take care of the side effects of drowsiness. It can hit you when you least expect it when increasing the dosage.

I have read online that with the increase dosage of Gabapentin, the side effects are more prevalent (sp)

As far as infections, I did not have any before especially with upper respiratory, but it is interesting that you say that you have sinus infections since last fall.

I too have developed sinus infections. I never had them in my lifetime, but have had an aweful time now. Never would have put two and two together. I too did not see that in the insert and have reread it.

Thanks to you, at my next neuro appt in April, I will be asking the dr about this. I thought it was do to the fact that I am more bound to the house and not getting enough fresh air.

Thanks for pointing out the possible side effect. It means I need to read more carefully my pamphlet that comes with the prescriptions, lol.

Thanks readingteacher
          STR

Comment

STR why would your doc prescribe Gabapentin when there is a much better drug Horizant for RLS or hmmm does he not know about it like my doctor.

Horizant gets converted into gabapentin, but is different in how it gets absorbed apparently much more efficiently than good old Gabapentin also it is slow release so you don't need as much. It comes in 300mg and 600mg tablets taken once a day around 5PM I was on the 300mg version. Regular Gabapentin did nothing for me.

It was FDA approved I think a little over a year ago. You can always ask your doc or the company (glaxosmithcline) for a free sample, I got 2 months worth of samples as my insurance did not cover it as it was so new, but after reading about it my doc was interested in seeing if it would help and I was not interested in paying for it so he kept giving me samples for now almost a year.

Comment

Working...
            X