My Gilenya First Does Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Gilenya First Does Experience

I took my first does of Gilenya at 8am last Wednesday morning. I was being monitored at a Concentra Immediate Care center. I wasn't sure what to expect, but was happy to see I wouldn't' be hooked up to a heart monitor or anything. With my anxiety, I'm sure i would have been watching that thing like a hawk! They started off with an EKG, then did checked my heart rate and blood pressure both sitting and standing. My BP was a little high, but it was due to anxiety I'm sure since its normally perfect. Then the time came to swallow the pill...Here we go!

For the first hour, I was checked every 15 minutes. They checked my heart rate and BP both sitting and standing every time. After the first hour I was checked every half hour until the 6 hours were up. My heart rate or BP never changed! I was expecting at least a little drop in heart rate, but i was fortunate i guess. Hopefully that is a sign that this could work for me! I was asking the nurses there and they said they have never had a bad First Dose Observation. They had a few people get up and walk around the facility to get the heart rate to increase a little, but that is it. They mentioned changes usually start to occur after the first half hour, so I also took that as a positive sign.

Throughout the 6 hours I felt fine. I was definitely anxious at first, but that faded after a couple of hours. My wife and I passed the time playing cards. I was able to eat and drink whatever i wanted and was even able to walk around. I just wasn't able to leave the facility.

By the evening i was really tired though. I'm not sure if it was due to the Gilenya or not because i was out late the night before and had to get up early for my first dose. I will keep you updated on if the tiredness hangs around. I took my second dose at 7:30 Thursday morning and went to work. So far all is well!

It is now Monday and I am still feeling perfectly fine. The fatigue is gone, so I am thinking it wasn't due to the medicine. Hopefully this is a good sign!

Also, I have started an MS Support group on facebook if anyone is interested in joining. It is at

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Thanks for reading. I'll keep posting updates if you are interested!

13 days in and still feeling great!

Comment

Delayed Menstrual Cycle???

Are you female? Has Gilenya affected your menstrual cycle?

Comment

I had my first Gilenya dose today and so far so good. I had to stay an extra hour because my heart rate went down, but I feel fine.

We'll see if it affects my cycle...I'm sure it will as my body has been under tremendous stress. I also had 5 days of steroids from a flare up.

Comment

Hello Miss Michelle

My heart rate dropped in hospital too in October 2012.

I am very interested in how your menstrual cycle goes???

I have been on Gilenya 4 months now and i have had bad back pain and my periods have been delayed each month. I have had sore nipples for most of the time too.

I would really like you to keep me informed on how your menstrual cycle goes??? My neurologist doesn't think it is Gilenya doing this but i do. In the next few weeks i am going to have a pelvic scan to rule out other causes.

It is bizarre that my name is Michelle (from Sydney Australia) and that you are "Miss Michelle"..... I am 44 years of age and was diagnosed with MS 10 years ago. I was doing quite well with Avonex over a 10 year period until las October when i had a major spinal episode. I was then moved on to Gilenya. Sorry to say this but i haven't felt well since i took that first dose at end October 2012. I'm hoping the back pain passes, that my menstrual cycle gets normal, that my pelvic scan is okay, and that i start to walk good again.

Please keep me informed of your progress. The more we share, the better xxx

Comment

Hi Michelle! I will keep you posted. I am having the "perfect storm" of illness right now. Flare up...cramps...first Gilenya dose, I'm a mess! I have to keep myself calm, freaking out just makes it worse. I'm trying to give things a chance to even out..especially after the flare up. I'm just not used to being out of commission like this. I have to accept what will be and work through the issues I guess.

Comment

Sorry, I am a male, but I'm glad the 2nd Michelle was able to assist with your question!

Comment

Hi again Miss Michelle. I do hope things settle for you

I am glad you will keep me informed of your progress.

Comment

Thank you for posting these comments about your experiences. I am still wading through all the requirements to get this drug - and am excited about the possibilities for recovery and fewer relapses.

Comment

I'm also very relieved that it seems we can get the steroids - I'm terrified of the thought.

Comment

Just another update....6 weeks in and i am still feeling great. No side effects at all.

@moredebris, i hope you also have a great experience!

Comment

Prednisone?

Just to be sure, if you have prednisone in the weeks before or after you start your daily dose - is that a problem?

Comment

I would think it is OK, but i would ask your doctor or the Gilenya support to be sure. From what i understand, the meds you want to be careful of are the ones that affect your heart.

Comment

Working...
                          X