Is it still side effects of prednisone or is it just MS flareup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it still side effects of prednisone or is it just MS flareup

I'm having a lot of pain, uncorrectable blurry vision, vision darkening, headaches, problems walking, tightening feeling in my limbs both legs and arms (some other thing too but these are the ones I'm worried about). My question are these things still from the side effects of my recent 40 pills of 20 mg prednisone (ended yesterday) or is it the MS worsening. Hopefully it's from the side effects but when will it go away. I need this to stop!!!!

Hello. First, ring the doctor. You might need another dose.
    Your MS stuff should feel better, not worse, after 'roids.

The side effects I've had are more along the lines of a sort of hyperactive insomnia and an overwhelming desire to eat anything with calcium in it.

Comment

I didn't do prednisone - but oral dexamethasone - and the sx you are mentioning are a lot like I had for about three to four days after the pills. I got gradually better, but it really took about three weeks to actually 'feel' any better.

Comment

I would call your neurologist, but agree with Sunshine. Even after a 5 day course of IVSM, it takes me about 2-3 weeks to feel better. Sometimes I feel worse first.

Good luck
        Lisa
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

I was on prednisone for 30 days at 60 mgs a day. I then tapered off and have been off about two weeks. I feel so much better after getting off them. The side effects were killing me. I would check with your Doc too. Some of it could be from pred but everyone is probably different. I have been having bad headaches the last couple weeks since going off them too.

Comment

how long did it take you to start feeling better after you got off the steroids?

Comment

I'm trying to figure out what to do now. My neuro said I should have had a stronger dose of the steroids - by being admitted to the hospital instead of the lower dose of prednisone I chose (the 40 pills of 20 mg with taper).

Now I'm having these horrible problems (one being trouble walking - legs feel heavy and numb) I just can't decide if I think it's just from the steroids I just had or if I do need a stronger dose (in the hospital).

Such a dilemma. I need help! I just can't figure out what. (If I had people/family it would have been a no brainer - I would have gone in the hospital and not taken the lower dose before but life is what it is and it's hard fighting this alone)

Comment

prednisone

Hmm.. it's usually a few weeks after I've finished the taper that the symptoms are completely gone; sometimes I will even have finished the steroids completely before i actually see a difference in symptoms. However, eventually the prednisone always does the job if I've caught it early enough- good luck!

Comment

s

I was having the same symptoms with my legs but that was when I was still on the meds. I started taking potassium and that went away.

Comment

I took Prednisone for a few days and my heart rate went up. Neuro decided that if I needed roids again we would do them in the hospital... just in case.
                    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Hi Emily. A year ago I did 1250 mg per day for 5 days and felt like death warmed over in a million different ways (before, during, and after). It took a good couple weeks to really feel better and I hear that it is not uncommon to feel great teh first day, then worse as you continue to take it, then finally better after a while off the stuff.

Definitely get your neuros advice though. Mine said it would take a while to stabilize and was able to give me some Rx to help with the discomfort of the flare plus the roids.

Comment

I had the heart racing, especially when I would lay down at night to sleep, it would keep me awake all night.

Comment

This post just made me realize that what I went through (and still recovering from) is not uncommon. I had 1000mg of IVSM over 3 days and had the same symptoms. I thought something was wrong, I felt like I had to many glasses of wine, cognitively not all there, my back was spasming, my muscles were sensitive to the touch, really bad vision and I had a headache. I was told that I was going through withdrawals from the steroids and that it may take a week or two for the symptoms to resolve.

It has been a week and I now only have little.vision problems, a little off balance, and a headache. I would talk to your neuro, it may just assure you that what you are going through may be common. If it is a flare up the neuro should know.

Comment

Working...
                          X