Lyrica for pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lyrica for pain

Has anyone tried lyrica for pain. I am currently taking neurontin. I have mid to lower back pain as well as my left buttock.

The most common causes of lower back pain often respond well to NSAIDs (like Aleve) and icing, and even more can be done with physical therapy. Have you tried any of them? Have you seen a back doctor?
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I was on Lyrica for a short time. It had just started to work, but I swelled up like you wouldn't believe. My doc said treat it like it was an allergy, because evidently my kindeys weren't processing it well. But I've heard it works very well.

I'm currently on Cymbalta as an anti-depressant (as well as Zoloft). Cymbalta was chosen because it's approved for fibromyalgia pain as well as an anti-depressant, so no matter where my mood goes, I stay on the Cymbalta - it's gotten, until recently, my fibro under control.
      Diagnosis: May, 2008
      Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

I tried Lyrica for nerve pain in my feet and it worked pretty well. But two side effects kept me from continuing on it. One it raised my BP (and I have enough problems with that without a med adding to it.) And the other issue...it made me "loopy". I don't know what other word to use to describe it, but it was like I was unfocused, and distracted, and a little drunk feeling to boot...I had a hard time concentrating on my work.

It didn't go away, even after I tried halfing the dose, I still had the feeling, but it was effective for the pain.

So now I'm on Elavil. Not sure if I'm at a therapeutic dose yet because I still have some burning in my feet off and on, but it sure helps me sleep well, which had been a problem before.

I take it before bedtime, and don't wake up drowsy, so I like it much better than the Lyrica even though I haven't had as good a result with it yet.

Comment

How much Neurontin are you taking? I thought it didn't work well for me at forst, but then my neuro upped my dose to 1800mg/day and I started to really get some relief. I have constant pain from the mid-thigh down, and it controls it quite well now.

I've not tried Lyrica yet (I have a standing prescription) but it's supposed to be very effective for many people (if quite expensive...yowch!)
          RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

I was just going to ask a gabapentin question. I am presently taking 900 mg a day which is quite a low dose. It is not cutting it anymore. I know I have to contact my neuro to prescribe a gradual increase. Have people found weight gain with Gabapentin?
            How much do people take? Is it helping? Will even a small increase from 900mg make a difference? Have you found anything better?

Comment

I am on a high dose (150mg 3x/day) and I tolerate it better than any other drugs I've taken for nerve pain. According to my Pharmacist, it is a narcotic.

Comment

I took Lyrica for a lil over 3 years, it worked well in the beginning but soon I needed the dosage adjusted until I was at the max dose and that did no good anymore. I went off it after that.

Comment

I've been on Lyrica for several years and gained about 10 pounds when I was taking 150mg. twice daily. Since I've lowered it to 100mg. twice daily, I've been able to keep myself from gaining more weight.

I guess I tolerate the neuropathy better with the higher dosage, but don't want any more pounds! It helps with the pins and needles, and I can tell when it's time to take my afternoon dose because my feet are feeling worse.

Comment

Good morning,

I am 150mg twice daily for my Neuropathic pain.
                    I am finding that it does take the edge off but is not lasting as long as it did during the beginning. It may be just a coincidence but I also have started to notice a worsening in my cognitive symptoms since starting the Lyrica, and I have also gained about 15-20lbs.

I was originally prescribed Cymbalta for the pain but I had an adverse reaction and became depressed and suicidal. Luckily those symptoms cleared up as soon as I stopped taking it.

Arthur
                    " An eye for an eye; and soon the whole world is blind" -- Mahatma Ghandi

Comment

I was put on Gabapentin and stayed on it for 5 months. I absolutely hated it. The side effects were worse than any pain I had been dealing with. I gained 12 pounds. I felt loopy and dopey to the point of feeling like I had been drinking. I only felt like sitting everyday because my will to be a part of the human race was so altered. When I did get up to try to get around, my entire left side felt like I was dragging it.

My neuro kept in touch with me by phone, and decided I could try Lyrica instead. I was going through the process of weaning myself off of the Gabapentin, and when I got to my last dose I didn't start the Lyrica.

Within a week, my husband came home from work one day and told me it was like the light had come on in my eyes again.

As my pain increases over time, I know it is only a matter of time when I will need to address this again. It will definitely be a sad day. I know what it will do to me.

Comment

works well for me

I take 100 mg three times a day. I originally was able to do 100 mg daily. I have been on the three times a day for 4 years.

I am also on cymbalta to help with nerve pain for 4 years.

I did gain weight, but I also stopped working and was majorly depressed at the time. So, the weight gain could be from any of the above.

I have tried to wean myself down to at least two times a day. I can skip a dose occasionally, but, I really have issues with nerve pain and will not sleep well that night.
                        God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Is anyone taking Cymbalta, Neurontin and Lyrica? Current neuro wants me to do all 3.

Comment

For anyone who takes meds for nerve pain and has trouble sleeping at night, I can tell you what my doc did for me. He has me taking 20 mg. Amitriptyline at bedtime. It puts me to sleep, and relieves the nerve pain into the next morning.

I take Lyrica during the day since I prefer staying awake!

Comment

Lyrica

I've been taking Lyrica 300mg capsules 3 times a day for past 6 months or so & burning vibration in my feet & ankles still drives me crazy. Tried Cymbalta in the past & did not help either. Hoping New York approves medical marijuana soon. It may help. Who knows.... It sucks that I live in NJ and can easily get to the new dispensary they opened but my Dr. is in the city & they can't approve for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X