Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Limbo Lady with common cold questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limbo Lady with common cold questions...

So I am in limbo...but I have some basic questions about what I would do normally (before MS became a new family member) versus maybe what I should not do.

Real quick this is where I am at:
    First episode 2 weeks ago, treated with 5 lovely bags of IV steriods.
    Still alittle drunky walk happening, slight hearing problem, and at this point minimal facial numbness.

Went back to work (desk job) and fellow employee has been coming to work with a cold.

I know I am tired but I left work early since I felt like a sore throat was coming and I don't want mess around.

I would have before taken Vitamin C and Zinc and that stuff called Occicilium.

I know these items are not crazy things, but am I supposed to be taking things to boost my immune system to knock out a cold when this same immune system is out of whack?

If my "cold" gets worse do I need to change what OTC drugs I would buy? (sudafed etc.)

They don't exactly tell you at the ER what to change in your regular life after they send you home filled with steriods and they won't see you for 3-6 weeks.

I feel like I got really good treatment, but left with my life as it is riddled with questions.

Anyone has any advice/tips for basic crap like this it will be lovely to hear from you.

And any things I really should never take/consume when MS is the top disease on the table would be great.

Sincere thanks to everyone for their time helping a newbie...
    ~nagem

Always be yourself, because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones that mind don't matter.

You are definitely more susceptible to getting a cold since you had the 5 day course of steroids.

The zinc and vitamin C are fine to take. Zine probably works the best. But, a cold is a cold, and has to run its course.

Things to watch for:
    1. High fever >101 adult
    2. Yellow or green discharge from nose
    3. Severe sore throat that leaves you without the ability to swallow. White patches in the back of your throat.
    4. Chest congestion.

If any of these occur, call your primary care doctor or go to an urgent care center and tell them you just completed a 5 day IV steroid treatment.

It lowers your immune system.

You may also experience more numbness despite the steroids due to the illness (pseudoexacerbation).

Best cure for a cold is a box of tissues and time.

Sorry you are sick.
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Working...
    X