Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do when our care givers get stressed???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do when our care givers get stressed???

We have all been care givers and had received the help from a care giver. Most of us our care givers are our spouses or other loved ones. It is just natural to get frustrated caring for someone.*
    My care giver is my husband. It is not too often when I really need him to help me. I am blessed that I can get around and function without much help. There is in my opinion a big difference between a husband caring for a wife and a wife caring for a husband. At least in my home.*

I learned very quickly when I went blind that my husband stresses out easily. He couldn't handle working and basically not coming home to everything already taken care of. I love him dearly but if his world does not keep going smoothly he doesn't deal with it well! I learned quickly to try to do everything I used to before I lost my eyesight. I had to because it was clear he was just too stressed out. Which is fine. Everyone is built to handle things differently.*

So now I will explain how when he is sick or hurting and needs me to care for him. He has Gout and gets flair ups often. I know he is in pain because where the Gout has flared up is swollen. Gout effects him usually in his feet, knees, wrists or elbows. If he is having a flare up in his wrist it's weird because he can't get off the couch for anything. Apparently it causes his legs to not work either. Otherwise why would I have to fluff his pillows, get him water, rub his wrist, refill his ice pack then prop his arm on a pillow with the ice pack. It just never stops!!! I am surprised he doesn't ask to be helped to the bathroom or to feed him his food! Men are BIG BABIES!! It seems like a common cold can bring them to the brink of death.*

It is clear to me why GOD gave woman the ability to have children. Only 1 man would have given birth. He then would have informed every single man, child and baby boy in the world that it HORRIFIC PAIN! Then the human race would have died off!*
    Yes woman can handle pain better, stress better and dealing with their own kids. Shoot it's too stressful for a man to babysit his own kids. Doesn't know how to really do it and thinks if they screw it up bad enough then they won't be asked to do it again!!! * Ya I am on to his game!! Lol

Here is a few tips I found on care giver stress:*
    Focus on what you are able to provide. Don't give in to guilt. Feeling guilty is normal, but understand that no one is a "perfect" caregiver. You're doing the best you can at any given time. Your house does not have to be perfect, and no one will care if you eat leftovers three days in a row. And you don't have to feel guilty about asking for help.

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Have a wonderful day!!*
    Christine

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

I support your need to vent about your own personal experience, but I don't agree with your blanket statements about men.

I have recently been caring for my significant other after surgery and he is the opposite of what you describe.

And I have found that the experience has made us even closer. Caring for someone you love in a time of physical weakness or vulnerability can involve deep intimacy. If both participants are open to it, while challenging, it can also be very meaningful for a couple, as it has been for us.

Comment

Wow you got it to a tee with my husband. Except he will babysit the potty trained children and only complain about it for 3 days after.

Now my husband does do most of the house work and thank goodness he loves to cook.

But by golly he can't figure out that my getting myself and 3 kids up and out the door by 7:15 in the morning can be stressfull and that stress is bad for my MS.

He always says I don't feel well on the weekends and he is right. I think I use so much energy during the week running the kids around that I deserve a nap on the weekends.

About the house cleaning though the person who cares is my husband! So he cleans it himself but believe me everyone in the house knows he is doing it. Hey I can listen to him complain as long as he gets the job done.

Comment

My hubby stresses easily and it's very clear to me when he needs to relax and take it easy, or take a nap. But I have to hand it to him, he can power through almost any illness.

Injuries are another story. It's kind of strange. He can go to work with pneumonia and a fever not knowing he's sick until it gets critical, but a blunt force injury or gash will practically have him curled up in a ball.

I'm the opposite. External injuries barely phase me, needle sticks, cuts with stitches, razor burn, lol, cakewalk, minor irritations. Internal illness or pain, I'm down for the count. Help me mama.

I do understand the caregiver thing. I took care of my hubs for quite awhile when he was sick early in our marriage, during my pregnancy and own illnesses, along with our kids and their illnesses. There were times when I wished someone, anyone, would be nice and helpful when I wasn't feeling well. A cup of tea, a quiet room, a bowl of chicken noodle soup, something, anything. Can I just have a nap, once, when I'm not feeling well? Help with the dishes, laundry, childcare? Nope.

We had to talk this out and now we both take care of each other. It's much better this way.
        It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

The Ladies Room forum might be a better forum, if you're determined to insult half the human race...
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Originally posted by Special Kay View Post
            I support your need to vent about your own personal experience, but I don't agree with your blanket statements about men.

I have recently been caring for my significant other after surgery and he is the opposite of what you describe.

My husband is the opposite too. He's pretty stoic about pain, and handles his emotions, when ill, much better than I handle mine

I had to care for him when he had his hip replaced a few years ago, and he was very independent, as much as was allowed. But the thing I learned from that experience, and I share with anyone (especially someone with MS) who is going to have to be a caregiver for awhile....rent, or invest in one of those hospital tables.

What a lifesaver it was because I could stack it up with everything he could possible need in any given morning, or afternoon, and I wasn't constantly having to run back to the bedroom when he needed something. Before we got it, I was wearing myself out with all the walking to and from the bedroom.

Hope your husband's gout gets better soon. My dad gets an occasional bout and it takes him down.

Comment

Mark-
              Sorry I was not trying to insult the men of the world. My husband is actually very helpful he just wants to make sure I know he is doing more than his fair share.

I could get started on my mother if that would make you feel better...

Oh wait I would have to write a book about her so it is not worth my time.

Comment

For Mark

I am sorry I did not mean to offend you. It was all in good fun. Lisa had a great idea....we can tell you our problems with our mothers! Lol
                Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine209 View Post
                  I am sorry I did not mean to offend you. It was all in good fun.
                  Not actually offended -- just a "what am I? chopped liver?" reaction...
                  1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                  NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Not I said the fly

My husband is great and my daughter has given up her life for me (I think she thinks if she turns her back I'll drop dead), I feel guilty because I know how frustrated they are because they are limited in what they can do. I hide the pain as much as possible, but they know. I told my husband if he got more than he signed up for I would never blame him for leaving me. My son is a Marine and in complete denial, Moms live forever right?

Comment

Working...
                    X