Chronic Constipation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chronic Constipation

Ive been trying Miralax to try to help with the constipation, but it seems very hit or miss for me. I want to try the salt water flush, but since I have a history of high BP, I don't know if it is the best choice for me. Any other advice or things I could try? Food, supplements, exercise?
    Also, when should I start to get very worried about not having a regular BM. Im down to about one a week, and I feel like Im worried all the time about develping a hernia (which probably doesnt help, but it is what Im worried about right now). I take magnesium (400mg a day), I eat prunes, and spinach used to be a big helper, but not anymore. I just dont think my muscles are strong enough to get everything moving. Help?

You're probably not drinking enough water because most MSers worry about making it to the bathroom on time.

I don't agree with the eight glasses a day regimen but you need to get enough. Your bladder can also be trained over time to retain more water.

Eat and apple or two a day which besides having lot's of fiber is really good for your general health. I've posted before how the Malic Acid in apples and apple cider vinegar may slow MS progression.

Apricots and Figs are really good for you and are a mild laxatives, like prunes. Hemp seed oil is good to relieve constipation as well.

Finally, take a stool softener twice a day, every day.

Comment

I use Aloe Vera pills, but it is available as a drink. I don't like its taste, but it has been effective. You said that spinach isn't doing it for you, but I wonder if you are eating enough. Montel's spinach (green ) smoothies really flushed me out. And I coupled them with pineapple (fresh or canned ). Good luck

Comment

For starters, walking is helpful. You don't have to knock yourself out but try to walk a block a day. It helps the muscles in your abs do their thing.

Sometimes those muscles just don't want to do anything, like if you're in a flare. In a situation like that you might consider irrigation (a fleet or enema) but you don't want to do it every day.

I've had good results in the past with pro-biotics. Either the pro-biotic fortified foods (some cereals, yogurt, etc.) or in capsule form. Pro-biotic just means putting beneficial bacteria ("good bacteria") into your digestive system. It mostly causes two reactions- some gas and a slight stool softening- that can make things easier.

You could also look into diet. I thought back about all the foods that used to make me run for the bathroom. Back then it was a nuisance, today its just a part of the plan. I've had good luck with some of my more "caustic" favorites, things like hot peppers and cabbage, kim chi, wasabe, hot burritos and tamales, etc. plus the occasional beer or two and cider (either regular or hard cider).

Comment

Miralax

When you take the Miralax if you do not go within 2 hours take another dose, etc.

It is safe to take in larger quantities and daily.

Comment

Thank you all so much for the recommendations, I appreciate them and plan on trying as many as I can until I no longer have to.

Comment

lilly,
              I used to think that when I got the system emptied, the gut would be back to 'regulated'. I found out that was false. I was reminded, by my doctor, that as I have not been as mobile as I was in a prior time, the gut needs the activity for proper evacuation. ( I am being as delicate as I am able ). You may need to use a little help daily or every other day. No shame in taking care of yourself, whatever the methods. Good luck

Comment

Thanks Jerry. One thing that this episode has taught me - Im pretty sure I have a leison in my thoracic spine, and learning the ways which helps, can only be beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by lilly.hewlett View Post
                  Ive been trying Miralax to try to help with the constipation, but it seems very hit or miss for me. I want to try the salt water flush, but since I have a history of high BP, I don't know if it is the best choice for me. Any other advice or things I could try? Food, supplements, exercise?
                  Also, when should I start to get very worried about not having a regular BM. Im down to about one a week, and I feel like Im worried all the time about develping a hernia (which probably doesnt help, but it is what Im worried about right now). I take magnesium (400mg a day), I eat prunes, and spinach used to be a big helper, but not anymore. I just dont think my muscles are strong enough to get everything moving. Help?
                  Salt water flush-
                  This is used to strentghen the bowel wall. It will not effect your BP.

1. If there is enough sodium in the bowel wall -water follows - and keeps the feces hydrated.

2. It will also strengthen the wall, which is just a muscle. Thats the ultimate goal. (The feces is propoled by parastaltic action...like a worm moving)

3. Shift the pH of the bowels and create a more beneficial environment.

Miralax works in the same way; considered an osmotic laxative (holds water). But does nothing to strentghen the bowel!

You can also take much more magnesium 800-1200mg/day in divided doses.

And a good ol' - Queen of ALL fixes! - Castor pack
                  NutritionTara
                  Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Thanks Tara. Going to start the salt flush in the morning, and I'm going to try the castor packs too.

Comment

Well now...

It's been my experience many factors enter into bowel function... are you drinking lots of water? That really helps
                      me. I also eat a high fiber diet... try putting a good portion of sunflowers seeds in your salad, eat lots of fruits and corn on cob will really get your bowels moving in fact you might see evidence of that the next morning...lol...

I. take Meralax the night before a scheduled bm. Sometimes I need to switch things up a bit so I use Senicot laxatives instead of the Meralax.

I don't know how mobile you are but in my case I have to regulate (plan) my bowel program...

good luck :-)

PEACE,Babs

Comment

It's a horrible, uncomfortable event. Metamucil is my best friend. 1 tbsp in water gives us enough fibre for the day. Doesn't taste too bad but if you leave it on its own for longer than 1 minute, it gels and takes on a life of its own. Probiotic yogurt like Activia, eaten daily, is good and as well, ground flax seed. I really hope you find something that works, you have my greatest sympathy.
                        Jen
                        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Flax oil is benefical to smooth things along as well as being a very important source of omega3 oils.

Comment

I can't say what works for anyone else, but I eat only plants until I get home for dinner. Oatmeal for breakfast is a great mover and bulk builder. When I'm having difficulties, I switch to raisin bran for a week.

Lunch is a giant salad (1quart) 1/2 cabbage and 1/2 lettuce (plus other vegetables), followed by an apple and other vegetables for nutrition.

Comment

I too suffer from chronic constipation. I've tried many otc remedies but still no relief. My gastroenterologist prescribed Lactulose for me - I take two doses daily (its a liquid) and it has helped me tremendously. I say talk to your doctor - it's not worth suffering if there's something out there that can help!
                              Julie
                              DX 11/9/11
                              Rebif Therapy 12/13/11

Comment

Working...
                              X