after starting DMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after starting DMD

Does one usually feel better in general after starting rebif or anything else or does it just slow down the progression of the disease?

I was really hoping to feel better but nothing yet. I have only been on rebif for 3 weeks. I know about the flu like symptoms and I am not having any side effects from that, just the same pain and weakness etc.. as usual.

Thanks for the help!
    DIAGNOSED=2012
    ISSUES LONG BEFORE
    REBIF 1 YEAR

The disease modifying drugs are to hopefully slow progression and to hopefully decrease the amount and severity of exacerbations (relapse, attack, flare-up). Some of those using the disease modifying drugs have found an improvement in symptoms but it's not unusual to deal with symptoms even on the DMDs.

There are medications referred to as Symptom Management medications. They are given to help with symptoms.

This is a list of medications for MS and their uses:
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ons/index.aspx

Physical Therapy can be helpful, for some, to help with weakness.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

My experience is that I don't 'feel better' being on a DMD - and that is not the intended result for the DMDs.

The DMD (if working properly) is going to slow down / help prevent you from getting lesions. You could very likely still experience MS symptoms, even if you aren't flaring.

I've tried three different DMDs and have no idea if any of them have actually helped or not. I'm anxious for my next MRI to see if there are any improvements. I still get symptoms such as fatigue, hot spots, vibrations, sensitivity to sounds and some dizziness. But those come and go and are more annoying than debilitating in most instances.

I've only ever had two documented flare ups, and I've now been over a year without a flare up (first on Copaxone and now on Gilenya since Feb.).

I have no experience with Rebif, so maybe someone will post a response who is familiar with Rebif.

Comment

The medicine usually makes you feel worse with flu-like symptoms which can linger. In theory, as inflammation is lowered, you may get healing and feel better.

But we take the medicine only to slow progression, never to feel any better. SWe just keep taking it in the hopes that we will be better off in the long run.

For some people, it really slows down the disease. For some it does not and for many of us, we have no idea.

Keep taking it if you have few relapses or remain relapse free. That's it for now.

Comment

Sorry, Rebif or any other DMD will not offer you any relief from your symptoms. If anything, because of side effects that are often most severe in the first few shots, you may feel worse to begin with. Additionally, you are still vulnerable to relapse as it takes a couple of months for the drug to work in your body.

Please rest assured that you are fighting this disease with a tool that has worked well for many people to slow progression. And it is good to know that you haven't had to deal with side effects.

Comment

My understanding is DMDs only SLOW progression. I have been on Copaxone for over 2 yrs now, and I think the Copx has slowed things enough that my body has been able to do a little repair & recovery.

There are meds for symptom control, separate and in addition to DMDs, you might want to ask your doctor (MS or fam doc).

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Thank you all sooooo much. I appreciate the input and experiences. I am also on the tegretol, ritalin, gabapentin, prozac, flexeril blah, blah, blah etc....

thanx, have a great day
              DIAGNOSED=2012
              ISSUES LONG BEFORE
              REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

A good MS diet is something that might get you feeling better, especially if your current diet is not entirely healthy.

Also, taking LDN and malic acid might actually make you feel better as well has help slow progression and possibly allow a little bit of healing.

We need to help our bodies out as much as we can to be as healthy as we can and allow the DMDs to do their best.

Comment

Working...
                X