Foot Curling Painfully Inward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foot Curling Painfully Inward

Although a lot of folks with MS seem to get toe curl and foot drop I can't find a lot of info on when the foot curls inward. My whole right foot is starting to painfully curl inward starting at the ankle, and twisting the sole of the foot toward the left limb. It is worse in the morning after I sleep all night -- I can barely walk -- but happens when ever I sit down or rest for any length of time.

I have tried a round of Botox -- and it helped for several months -- but I am concerned about the long term use. I have also tried wearing a stiff high-top shoe to bed; which also helps but is awkward. Most the the modern MS braces I have seen are for foot drop, not curl -- and I dread the idea of wearing a full boot cast.

I'm sure other readers have experienced the same problem. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I had that for years. Mine was always diagnosed as foot drop. and I can identify with the pain...mine would strike about a 45 degree angle inward and ache like the dickens. It was from spasticity and to my surprise when I had the trial for the baclofen pump it was the first thing to resolve. Within an hour my foot wasn't pointing inward and I had control of it. the physiatrist and physical therapist said since the baclofen pump cleared up the problem, it was a spastic contracture, not foot drop.

Botox does work on spasticity, but it is just a temporary fix. The pump fixed it for me, but I had other spasticity issues as well...so that might be a drastic fix if your spasticity is only in your foot. Are you taking back baclofen or zanaflex?

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. It makes sense that it's a spasmodic issue and not foot drop. No, I have not tried the medications/treatment that helped you. However, will definitely ask my neurologist about them when I see him next.

Comment

check mag.

Have you had your magnesium levels checked? MS tends to make us deficient in mangesium. The main symptoms are usually muscle cramping especially starting in the feet and legs usually in the night or early morning. It can make the toes & feet curl etc. Meds can also do it. Stomach pills like prilosec, nexium, etc are known for causing magnesium deficiency. If unsure, try 250 mg twice a day. It should start working within 24 hours. It's pretty harmless at that dose.

Comment

I get what I call "posturing" of my feet. Meaning they curl and my toes splay and stay there. It is quit painful. Magnesium and Baclefen HAVE helped.
          I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

I am currently expierencing a stabbing sensation in the center of my foot. Almost like my arch is dropping but It happens when I am at rest/sleeping and or sitting.. Has anyone else had this. It comes and goes.. has been for two days. I am also getting a tightness in my neck and head for the last couple days.. I have TN but this does not feel like TN pain.
            limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Comment

Working...
            X